• Thread starter jrtrrror
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 43

Discuss Releasing pressure in pipwork Discussion Thread in the Plumbing Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Releasing pressure in pipwork Discussion Thread

Hi
I know that this may seem like a daft question, but here goes.
Is it possible to release pressure in pipe work.
Let me expand.
I've been undertaking some changes to the pipework in out ground floor kitchen. The pipework had been completed using JG Speedfit, so I've used the same to make the changes.
As a temporary measure, whilst completing the job, I installed two Speedfit Stop Ends. This meant that I could turn the water back on overnight before turning it back off again the following day to complete the project.
However, the Stop end was extremely difficult to remove. First of all I turned the water off at the main stopcock. Then I used two water pump pliers to remove each of the stop ends. I placed one jaw over the end of the stop end and the other jaw over the back of the collet and squeezed the handles together. This pulled the collet toward the end of the stop end and allowed the stop end to be released. But it went with a right bang!. I guess the cause of this was the pressure within the pipe, I guess from the water still in the pipework. Although the water had been turned off, my guess is that because the stop end was at the end of run of pipe work, on the ground floor, where a lot of water in the pipework above maybe trying to flow down to, this static water was still causing pressure in the pipework.
I'm worried that removing the stop ends using the previously mentioned method, may cause damage, either at the location of the stop end or further up the pipeline, because of the sudden drop in pressure when the stop end is forced off the end of the pipe.

There are currently no isolation valves near to the stop ends (I will be installing them later), so is there a away of releasing pressure in that particular section of pipe?

Many thanks
D

Releasing pressure in pipwork for the original thread on Plumbers Forums

Reply to Releasing pressure in pipwork Discussion Thread in the Plumbing Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB