UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Reluctantly Retiring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doit4u

My wife has had arthiritis for quite a few years, which as it has progressively worsened has meant I have had to take on more of the household chores. I was able to work round this until my 90 year old father moved in 4 months ago, which has further increased the domestic load.

My father has a range of medical problems, none of them life threatening but he only gets bad days and worse days and its a rare week when I don't have to take him for at least one planned or unscheduled medical visit.

I have managed to do a few small jobs in the past few months but I have had to turn down some nice bigger jobs as I cannot guarantee to be continuously available for required number of days. Nobody wants jobs to stop and start and I pride myself on never having messed people about.

The final straw was when my van came up for MOT. I had advisories for rust last year but hoped that with a bit of patching it would do another year as I will get my state pension in 12 months and would probably have probaly retired then anyway, or only taken on small jobs.

The local garage did a quick inspection when I took the van in and told me it wasn't even worth the cost of an MOT as the welding alone would exceed the value of the van, so it is now parked on the drive and acting as a tool and materials store.

For the small amounts of work I am likely be able to fit in I can't really justify spending the money to get a reasonably reliable van so I have decided to call it a day. For the family jobs {I have three daughters all with their own houses} I will have try to use my car and just hope I remember to put in everything I need.

The one advantage of having my father here is that now he bangs on the bedroom door at 6.30 in the morning to tell me he has had a bad night instead of ringing me and asking me to pop over and see him.

Pop over - he lived 120 miles away and used to make me feel so guilty if I had to refuse.

Anyway best wishes to you all and although I have never been a great contributor to the Forum I have picked up lots of useful information and particularly enjoyed peoples' stories about their experiences, good and bad.

I shall still stay as a member of the Forum and who knows I may even have the time to check in more often.

Cheers

T

Time's Ran Out

Nice thread and I can fully appreciated your situation.
When you enjoy a job such as this it can be difficult to say no and as I've said before 'when you treat it as a job and not a hobby - that's when you will make some money' (it was actually my Dad that said it!).
We've been taken a bit of work on in London over the past 12 months and that is basically so I can spend some time with my parents, and it's quality time.
Good Luck and keep looking/answering/and updating the Forum.
John.

U

user123

Your family is lucky to have you, and retirement for you hopefully means that at least you will not have the added stress of everything that is involved with going to work 'out there'. I bet both your Dad and your wife are as proud as punch to have you around, just make sure you get a bit of quality time jsut for yourself doing what you enjoy, too. It'll always be nice to see you on here, no need to be stranger :) Good luck with it all.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Reluctantly Retiring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.