UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Remove Plaster or Overboard - Solid Walls & Large Format Tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

EViS

What's the best method for preparing solid walls which have been plastered, ready for tiling with large and heavy stone tiles (e.g. 600x400 marble)?

a) Would you remove the plaster and hope that underneath the walls have been rendered? Otherwise the browning or hardwall would need to come off down to the brickwork/blockwork. or
b) Overboard? In which case would you batten out the walls first, then fix hardiebacker? Or screw hardiebacker directly into the walls?

The second option is going to be more expensive, but will leave you with perfectly flat walls. What's the most common route for you guys?

E

EViS

You can D&B Marmox boards ( min 12.5mm) and then mechanical fix through the D&B's.. this is good if walls are uneven.. if the walls are flat then you can serrate the walls and then mechanical fix at regular intervals..

Is it merely a preference for using Marmox, or are they in some way superior to the Hardie boards? And as far as fixing goes, would dowel fixings (such as these) be adequate to hold the weight of large heavy tiles?

Can you not just dot and dab cement backer board onto the existing and screw through into the structure with mechanical fixings....
I can, however what is the reason for dot and dabbing (unless the walls aren't flat)? Otherwise you're merely sticking the board to the weak substrate you're trying to get away from? The mechanical fixings will be doing the primary work, no?

D

DHTiling

Not sure of the stone's weight. But 600x400 marble isn't going to be light! I guess that at 20 dowels per board (0.3kg), they wouldn't even hold half a tile :s. If that's the case, and I've just checked the data sheet myself too, what on earth is the use of those dowels/pins?

You can screw with marmox washers as well.. my preferred fixing method.. and these fixings go deeper than just the base and skim coats.. you plug into the walls structure and if stud wall, then you screw into the studding.. very strong fixings then..

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Topps........ Toppsssssss! Not my tiling advisors at present........ Had a conversation today with their "technical" expert in one of their shops........ Never heard of uncoupling membrane............WTF (scuse me)

The advice that an "anti crack" mat should be placed within the screed and not stuck to the top was the one that made me most angry!!

Please..... Use someone who knows what they are talking about ........ You could do a lot worse than PHG IMO.......

D

Dougs Third Go

The last time i asked Al, Hardi said NO!... but if they have changed that decision , then hopefully someone will say so.. :thumbsup:

The Hardi 250 can be used on walls but must be fully embedded into adhesive and the hardi 500 is for stud work..
yet shearing strengths aside Dave, I've always wondered why we dot and dab plasterboard, surely a better fixing method for p/b would be a solid bed?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
The last time i asked Al, Hardi said NO!... but if they have changed that decision , then hopefully someone will say so.. :thumbsup:

The Hardi 250 can be used on walls but must be fully embedded into adhesive and the hardi 500 is for stud work..

I always beleived hardie couldn't be dot and dabbed. Job i'm on at the moment i fixed a timber studwork/frame to the block wall and fixed the hardie to this.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Remove Plaster or Overboard - Solid Walls & Large Format Tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.