UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Removing 20mm thick marble over UFH. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ok... The easiest way will be to remove the grout around the affected tiles and then break them into small bits to try and break the contact with the cable... you will have to try and be extra careful not to damage the ufh but if you do then this can be repaired...
Hi Dave,
Thanks for advice. What do you recommend breaking the tiles with? I have a multimaster to take away the grout so thats no problem, just concerned with the tiles as they are so thick.

A

Aston

as above

but i would really make sure you remove all the grout to give you as much clearance as you can get...use a small pointed chisel and start to break around the edges first. the marble will be weaker around the edges than in the middle!! there will be some room for the tile to move and then start working your way from around the edges to the center.
tap with a firm impact but dont smash away and there will be less chance of damaging the wires but as dave say's, these can easily be repaired...

good luck, but this is a classic case of why i believe you should slc over ufh..:thumbsup:

ed

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will try the hammer to start with as I don't want to create to much dust.
Regarding why the removal : I was cutting the plinths down to size today ready to be fixed back after the spark as been back to wire in heating and there I saw lying under the cupboard the floor probe. I could not believe it, I'm always so careful to get everything 100% right but I suppose I'm only human!

as above

but i would really make sure you remove all the grout to give you as much clearance as you can get...use a small pointed chisel and start to break around the edges first. the marble will be weaker around the edges than in the middle!! there will be some room for the tile to move and then start working your way from around the edges to the center.
tap with a firm impact but dont smash away and there will be less chance of damaging the wires but as dave say's, these can easily be repaired...

good luck, but this is a classic case of why i believe you should slc over ufh..:thumbsup:

ed
Cheers Ed.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to remove all the grout being 20mm thick tiles with the multimaster but will get down as far as poss. Thanks for your advice

If it takes all of Monday to get the tiles up and area cleaned and probe in, I will be well chuffed!

Ahhh no, not another classic case of forgotten probe:mad2::lol:

Like the lads say it would have been a great deal easier if you had levelled the cables before tiling, but spilt milk and all that......

Your multimaster should get you down at least 15mm if you've got the diamond wheel and as Neale says i would be inclined to run the grinder around the tile to weaken it before smashing (gently) with a mash hammer - if you've solid bed fixed the addy should support the cables to a certain extent. It might pay hyou to get a couple of repair kits at the ready, they're not crackers money and if you don't use them take them back:smilewinkgrin:

What make of cables are they?

Ahhh no, not another classic case of forgotten probe:mad2::lol:

Like the lads say it would have been a great deal easier if you had levelled the cables before tiling, but spilt milk and all that......

Your multimaster should get you down at least 15mm if you've got the diamond wheel and as Neale says i would be inclined to run the grinder around the tile to weaken it before smashing (gently) with a mash hammer - if you've solid bed fixed the addy should support the cables to a certain extent. It might pay hyou to get a couple of repair kits at the ready, they're not crackers money and if you don't use them take them back:smilewinkgrin:

What make of cables are they?

Yeah it is a solid bed so I'm hoping when breaking the tiles up they will come away from the adhesive and leave the wire bedded under the adhesive. I've used warm-up loose wire which is taped down onto hardibacker

P

peckers

I would remove the grout and then use an angle grinder as some one else has said but if you dont want to use an angle grinder then you could always drill a series off holes along the tile every inch apart, you could put some tape as a marker so you dont drill to deep and damage the cable then with a small bolster chisle you could tap along the drilled holes at a 45 degree angle thus breaking the tile away in small sections,
Or if you have a rorozip you could set the depth gauge on it and zip along the tile with that, best of luck :thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

Phew...all sorted.
Not easy removing these tiles but once started the weaker they got and they were breaking away quite nice.
Heating in perfect condition after and checked ohms reading with warmup and a perfect match.
How pleased am I!!
Cheers for help all :thumbsup:
Just out of interest, wasn't there a flexy tube provided to slide the probe into instead of having it straight into the addy. Probes can be problematic and this system is provided to provide an easy means of changing them. Doesn't Warm Up provide this facility?

D

diamondtiling

Just out of interest, wasn't there a flexy tube provided to slide the probe into instead of having it straight into the addy. Probes can be problematic and this system is provided to provide an easy means of changing them. Doesn't Warm Up provide this facility?

They used to provide some black flexible tubing, I have only fitted warm up twice but we did use the tubes for the probe.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Removing 20mm thick marble over UFH. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
I'm a total tiling beginner having my kitchen/diner redone by builders. The dining area has a...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.