Discuss Removing A Travertine Tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

I have fitted Hardiebacker boards and then Homelux matting to the stud wall in my shower cubicle area.
I have tiled over this using Mapei Proflexible Cement Based adhesive and travertine tiles.
All I have left to do now is the cuts above the shower tray. On the row above this I have one tile on the end that I have managed to incorrectly fit unlevel. The farthest end sits below the tile above by around 3mm.
Now this area is where the shower screen will be fitted so it will be pretty much hidden and disguised by the screen and I can squirt an extra bit of silicon where the screen meets the tile.
However because I know it isn't right I am trying to decide whether it would be worth trying to remove the tile and refit.
I am concerned though that it will not be the easiest to remove and also I do not want to damage any surrounding tiles. I wouldn't fancy taking a hammer and chisel to the tile as this would surely damage the surrounding adhesive and tiles.
Are there any tricks to removing a travertine tile careful so as not to damage substrate and surrounding tiles? (I'm not worried about ruining the tile because I can easily cut another).
Or should I just leave the tile as is. I'm sure it would only be me that would notice it anyway.
Thanks,
Daz

E

enduro

Have you got an electric drill with a depth setting on it, set this to the thickness of the tile then drill lots of holes from the top right hand corner to the bottom lefthand corner then repeat this on the other corners...Oh and make sure all of the grout has been removed from around the tile. Then once you have done this get a hammer and chisel/bolster and gentle start remove the tile...Try that.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mcga

Daz, I would like to respectfully suggest that you reconsider your message about "it would only be me that would notice it anyway". You are the person who matters most, not least. When I work on any project, I make sure I'm satisfied with it, and if not I correct it, because I know for certain that I will see every tiny error every time I look at it. That's the first thing I will look at. For ever. If you do it this way, you will get better at everything you do. Life is a journey, and it's not the quality of the end that matters, but the journey itself. As the Hopi Indians are supposed to have said, "We have no art - we just do everything as well as we can." Adequate should be good enough - just make sure that every part is adequate, and you should be happy with what you've done. If it's not adequate, I suggest you do it over, until you like what you've done.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Removing A Travertine Tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Removing A Travertine Tile
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.