Discuss removing and replacing border tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JimmyShoes

Hey there all,

Just a query, off to a job tomorrow to fit a shower tray with a plumber friend, and he has advised me the customer would like to replace these embossed border tiles with new ones. I'm slightly concerned that by trying to take these off I would de-stabilise the tiles above and below them. Also I've been told that they were tiled onto plasterboard, which again concerns me because of the risk of damage to the plasterboard. I'm of a mind that this might be more aggro than its worth.. Is there a particular way of getting these tiles off safely? Or is this a job to be left well alone?

cheers

G

Gazzer

Again this is a job that you wont know how much work is involved until you actually do it. You may find they may come away easily and be no problem....probably due to bad fixing. Or, you could find that it rips the board to pieces. If it were to destroy the boards then it may be best to remove tile and plasterboard in one go by cutting right through. Please make sure no cables or pipes are behind.
Then replace with a new piece of board or tile backerboard and retile.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to removing and replacing border tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello, we have recently had some carpet fitters in who have done a great job but have...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
removing and replacing border tiles?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.