Discuss Removing Transformer From Halogen Light Fitting For LEDS? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Removing Transformer From Halogen Light Fitting For LEDS? Discussion ThreadRemoving Transformer From Halogen Light Fitting For LEDS? Electrical Advice

Hi all,

Great forum with lots of advice read and greatly received over the years!

I have a question here that I am hopeful somebody here can assist.

We have 6 x decorative light fittings that all currently take 5 x G9 Halogen bulbs per fitting. And we also have another 5 decorative light fittings that each take 6 x G4 halogen bulbs per fitting.

We really like the fittings and don't really want to change them if possible. We ideally want to swap all of the halogen bulbs for LEDs, but when we have added the LEDs they flicker a lot and there is a loud humming noise which I presume is the internal transformer.

The question is, can the current transformer, intended for halogen bulbs, simply be removed? And the fitting then wired directly to the lighting circuit cabling and LEDs with internal drivers installed? Or if the LEDs don't have an internal driver, can the transformer be replaced like-for-like with a separate LED driver?

I've added the images of the current transformer and the wiring from one of the fittings here as an example where I have already removed the transformer.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on this - greatly appreciated.

Lee

Removing Transformer From Halogen Light Fitting For LEDS? for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to Removing Transformer From Halogen Light Fitting For LEDS? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Lou

Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
Removing Transformer From Halogen Light Fitting For LEDS? Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond