Discuss Removing Travertine Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

I am installing travertine tiles in my bathroom and have been tiling for quite awhile now as I'm taking my time. I have been fairly surprised at how well it is going considering it's my first attempt at tiling.

I have however an issue with a couple of tiles.

I haven't yet tiled around the top of my bath except on one of the three walls that surround it (one of the width walls). This was my first wall and was done a couple of months ago. (I keep jumping about doing different other jobs! So don't scoff at how long it's taking me! :lol:. Although I am making it into a life's work!). A couple of the tiles that I have fixed have left a gap of probably at worst 10mm between the bath rim and tile. Now I don't remember it being that great a gap when I first fixed them and despite the bath being installed on to fixed timber battens I have a feeling the bath and the wooden supports have settled to a degree. That's my excuse anyway! :oops:

Nevertheless, I don't really want to use one of those sealing strips if I can help it and I'm sure you'd all agree on this so am considering removing two of the tiles and replacing them.

Now I know I need to protect the surrounding tiles and I need to be careful in removing them. I've picked up the tip of putting carboard in the grout spacing while removing them. Are there any other tips or tricks to removing tiles other than hitting them, (carefully), with a chisel and hammer.

Thanks in advance,

Daz

P

peckers

you could drill a series of holes into it quite close togeather and then using a hammer and screwdriver/chisel break this area away so you can get under a bigger section of the tile to be able to remove the rest of it! I also remove the grout from around the other tiles so as when the tile being removed pops out it wont damage the tile next to it. :thumbsup:if you are having problems removing it then drill lots of holes into it in lines and the tile should crack away at those points :thumbsup:

D

DazJWood

Can you bath not be lifted a little, if you have flexible pipes to the taps it's pretty straight forward to do. The legs just wind up but get the bath level again.

Yes I could lift the bath a little but I have it supported on the walls on wooden battens so would rather keep the support there and just replace two tiles.

I do also have some travertine border / dado / chair rail tiles (or whatever they're called) that I'm thinking could be fixed to tile and bath rim. This would negate replacing the tiles. So I'll see what they look like when I get back home. Though I'm thinking it may look a bit over the top. Has anyone else used these type of tiles to go round a bath top?

Reply to Removing Travertine Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Removing Travertine Tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.