UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Removing very sticky bitumen from concrete floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

divadee

Hi there, newbie here and hoping for some simple advice.
We have got a very old as very poor parquet flooring in the dining room under the carpet. We want to remove all of this to tile but husband has said we must remove all the bitumen first.
What is the best way to do this? We have had to lift the parquet in another room and it is so sticky that it's a nightmare to work with. We were putting carpet in that room so we just ply boarded it. Hubby has said that's not really suitable for tiling.
Please can you help? Xxxx

D

divadee

Any chance of a picture. You mention big lumps? Are these brittle? Just want to be certin it's bitumen

Hi Aligage I have done a quick picture of what it underneath the whole parquet floor to give you an idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/divadee/de47cc4e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/divadee/c9ca8c76.jpg

My hubby said its more ridges than lumps (I am a girl what do I know lol) they can be chiseled off! But that's not a job I would relish doing with my small chisel lol.

I was wondering if maybe a floor scarifier would work on the concrete? Or an angle grinder with wire brush? (admittedly don't relish either of those)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Ah i see. It has been used as an adhesive. It's more commonly (when used indoors) used as screed. If that was the case it's easy to get up, as usually 9/10 times it's concrete underneath. Once you break through to concrete level an SDS brings it up in lumps.

To be completely honest it's a nightmare to get up when still sticky. I haven't found a better method than a blade scraper and elbow grease. I've heard that diesel, a scrubbing brush and lots of old rags works. But, please don't quote me. I certinly wouldn't suggest this if you're planning to tile.

Invest in some PPE (particularly a good mask), a heat gun, and various scraping tools until you find one that works best for you. Use the heat gun to loosen it a bit and scrap away. Ensure the room is well ventilated. Unless some one can bless me with a simpler method, but elbow grease and heat is what i do. It's effectively tarmac your scraping up.

W

White Room

Oh this is gonna be a tedious jobs think!!! Maybe my husband was right and he should restore the parquet like he did in the hallway! I just really wanted tiles in there with food around etc...

Whitebeam what sort of machine would I be asking for?

Could look at some of these

HSS Hire - Self Propelled Tile Stripper Hire and Rent
HSS Hire - Floor Tile Remover Hire and Rent
HSS Hire - Textured Surface Remover Hire and Rent
HSS Hire - Electric Floor Grinder Hire and Rent

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Removing very sticky bitumen from concrete floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hiya, I am in the process of preparing a concrete floor in my mum's house for tiling, and have...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I'm a total tiling beginner having my kitchen/diner redone by builders. The dining area has a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.