• Thread starter cornish_crofter
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 19K
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss Rendering onto thermalite blocks? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

Never had to do this before.

However that wetroom has thrown up another issue.:lol:

Today, whilst removing the old adhesive from the walls I noticed that about 2 ft up from the floor that the render is actually coming away from the walls - not the plaster, the render!

And to boot, though I think this may be the cause the wall seems to be retaining damp at this height.

The customer tool the tiles off a couple of months ago but the walls just haven't dried out.

As the whole lot is going to be tiled I was just going to render the areas that need to be repaired. No need for multi finish etc.

However, a plasterer once told me that Theralite blocks are difficult to render.

Any tips please.

C

cornish_crofter

Thanks for that.

I suspect the plaster on the exention I'm working in was the only one who knew what he was doing :D

The walls are pretty straight and level, and the render is staying on firmly where the damp from the badly fitted shower tray hasn't got to it.

Fortunately it seems that the thermalites are only used on the inner course and the extension is single story.

I don't think I have ever seen such bad workmanship on the blockwork or most other aspects in this country. Seen a huge variation when we were in Ghana, but most of it was better than this!

They've used 5 inch thermalite on top of 4 inch blocks below DPC - crazy!

Reply to Rendering onto thermalite blocks? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi. I hope its ok to ask a question on here. I am changing my shower surround. The tiles in my...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I have a 1940's semi and i have been redecorating my front room, no its my own...
Replies
Views
Afternoon everyone, just after a bit of advice on preparing some walls for ceramic, possibly...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Rendering onto thermalite blocks?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.