UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Repair to damaged walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

retirementdiyer

Hello to all, any advice on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone had any experience of Polycell Plaster Repair? I removed some old ceramic tiles from the wall but the old adhesive pulled away all the surface of the plaster. The remaining plaster is very solid so I scored it before covering with Polycell Plaster Repair. Is this going to be a good enough base for the new ceramic tiles to go on size 250 x 400 x 9 (floor to ceiling)? The wall is plaster on bricks and the plaster repair covers it between 2 - 5mm and I have Ultra Proflex to use as adhesive.

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I think it would have been sound if you just used a cement based adhesive as long as you got off all the loose plaster. Any large parts that were missing you could have just quickly skimmed it a little with the cement based adhesive to get it level again.

The plaster repair should be fine though. It's more about the weight. So make sure it can take the weight (does it say on it what it can be used for?).

Ceramics are of the lighter types of tile so it should be okay.

I'll let the lads advise further though, I don't tile anymore.

R

retirementdiyer

I am not a tiler; just catching up on diy work in my retirement! I was suggested rapid set would be better considering the size of the tiles; I will ask them to change it to standard set. Do you think the Polycell Plaster Repair I have already applied would have a negative impact and should be removed or was it just an unnecessary expense/work and is not detrimental to the structure? I only started worrying once I picked up a box of the tiles and realized the weight!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Repair to damaged walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I've got a job coming up soon in a bathroom, wall to ceiling around the bath then...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, don't know if anyone can help but I'm having real difficulty getting tiles to stick to the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.