Discuss repairing a cracked screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

while working in germany 15 years ago the german tilers i worked with had a good method of repairng cracked screeds they would follow the crack with a 4inch angle grinder and cut out the fault line , then across this they would cut stitch cuts every 6-8 inchs ,they then took steel screws and placed them into the cuts across the original fault line ,this was then filled with epoxy resin and left to cure. the floors were then tiled, i have used this method many times and found it to be very useful cracks were not transfered into the tile installation. have any other of you tilers used this method to repair cracks in subfloors ?

D

DHTiling

while working in germany 15 years ago the german tilers i worked with had a good method of repairng cracked screeds they would follow the crack with a 4inch angle grinder and cut out the fault line , then across this they would cut stitch cuts every 6-8 inchs ,they then took steel screws and placed them into the cuts across the original fault line ,this was then filled with epoxy resin and left to cure. the floors were then tiled, i have used this method many times and found it to be very useful cracks were not transfered into the tile installation. have any other of you tilers used this method to repair cracks in subfloors ?

I haven't personally used that method gary....sounds good though....

Probably another reason why the germans brought out crack isolation membranes....:lol:..too much hard work..

P

Pawelzik

To Gary: Thankx for the post. It is still a common method to fill cracks with epoxy and steel stripes - we call them "needles". Here is a picture of epoxy ametrial and crack bridging needles from a competitor, you can see that the needles are formed to waves what is important for epoxy contact and force transfering. By the way: If you would like to know if your german tiler is still there I will try to find out, just pm.

http://i9.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/33/a6/b0_1_b.JPG

To Gaz: Don´t know if BAL has this but very good to sell and common on the market is the complete set, epoxy + enough needles.

To Pjtiler: Thank you in the name of all Krauts.

To Devonmark: Yes, can be done too but is seldom. Mostly workers open the crack a bit, plaster it and include a mesh/net to the plaster as a) the epoxy is expensive b) often drops/flows out of the crack.

To Pjtiler: There is no german translation for "bodge up". If you explain "bodge up" to me I will describe in another way.

Thanks to all of you, 3 days left until holidays in Spain, Martin:grin:

B

bobbytiler

Just use ditra matting saves all that work,Master-Tiler.co.uk

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to repairing a cracked screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Had wet system UFH installed on a concrete subfloor to the whole ground floor ie living room...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out here; I've been reading as many threads...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have just discovered a hairline crack in one of our 6mm italian porcelain tiles. Its...
Replies
Views
T
Hello, We have recently had a new Statuario marble floor laid in a newly created shower room...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
repairing a cracked screed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.