UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Report in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I did a couple of bathrooms for a customer just over two years ago in a bungalow. Approx. 13 months ago when we had the really cold spell they had a pipe burst burst in the loft. This caused all sorts of problems. Insurance co sorted out the refurb. Bathrooms had to be re-done, new floors throughout, doors some internal walls etc. I didn't get asked by the builders to re-do the bathrooms as they said my quote was too expensive for the budget. They would only pay the customer £25 per m for tiles that cost £50 per m originally, Rectified porcelain. Needless to say the customer wasn't happy and paid the balance for the tiles cos they loved them. The tiling was done and the customer wasn't happy, lippage etc, but the insurance co came out and said it was acceptable. That was about 6 months ago. This weekend I have had a call from the customer explaining that the original newly fitted kitchen floor now has problems. Although there was no visible water damage from the original flood the tiles have now started to 'creak' but no sign of cracking. Some of the plinths and end panels on the kitchen have expanded and blown by the sound of it and some of the doors have now bent/curves in them. He has had the plinths off and says there is 9mm ply fixed down. The insurance co. have been back out again and have said to get an independent report on the floor and kitchen. My guess is that the water had probably been sat under the ply for a long period and has now eventually de-laminated it causing these problems. I am going out next week to take a look and will probably have to lift a tile to investigate further. The loss adjuster seems to acknowledge the whole floor may need to come up and he is prepared for that.

After all that my question is, How much would you charge to visit (40 mile round trip), remove tile and create a report and recommendations for the above? They won't be getting anyone else in but I don't want to appear greedy by the same token.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Report in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.