Discuss Restore cemented over Edwardian floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

T

TilingLogistics

I'm renovating my post Edwardian house. After ripping up laminate flooring in our hallway we discovered what look like slate red and black floor tiles. However... they have been cemented over - a very thin layer, perhaps about 3 mm thick. Is there a way of recovering the floor tiles or should we just forget it and carpet/lay wood floor over the top? Any suggestions welcome!

This can be done. I have just finished a similar job in Banbury. The tiles are almost certainly encaustic tiles and are extremely hard. The covering you describe will either be self levelling compound or cement. It is not an easy job unless you have the right materials and tools but it is possible and it is usually worth doing. If you e mail me your e mail address I will e mail you before and after photos to show you what can be achieved. If you can e mail me some photos of your hall together with M2 I will try and give you step by step instructions on how to do it but if there is a large area to do it can be painstaking and tedious. I have tried on a few occasions to upload photos but it always says they are too big. Otherwise i would upload them on this post.:thumbsup:

Kev

T

TilingLogistics

You can reformat the pic size to go down from say 10 Mb to 900 kb using a paint program.
My son just showed me last week and I put the pic here so it does work.
I am sure you can do that on other photo programs as well.

Alberta,

You ain't seen me witha computer mate I am useless. I have a library/portfolio of around a 1000+ Pics/ I cant even get them in order.:mad2:

Kev

J

jjcundy

Thanks for advice everyone. In the end I used my wall paper stripper, the hot steam seemed to loosen the bond somewhat and allowed me to scrape the unwanted substance off. Slow progress but I'm getting there... pic attached.

I guess my next question is cleaning up the tiles - can I do a decent job myself (and if so how?) or should I get an expert in??

Attachments

• tiles 3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Restore cemented over Edwardian floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
So I may have done an oopsie. We are putting self-levelling compound down over floor where I...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB