UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Restoring Victorian geometric tile floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Craibh

I wondered if anyone knew of a tiler who would be interested in reapiring a Victorian tiled floor in the Glasgow Area- it is shown on the attached photos ? They are laid on a cement layer. This together with its rubble basewhich is between 3 “ and 4”” thick, is in turn laid on a suspended timberfloor in a front porch of a Victoria villa built in Glasgow in about1874.Unfortunately at least one of the timber floor joists has deteriorated dueto damp ingress so we need to replace part of the timber floor.

Someof the small tiles are damaged due to the cracking in the floor timbers at the front of the vestibule as shown on the second photo. The vast majority are not damaged- although they have obviously seen areasonable amount of use!

The tiles are about 3/8ths(1cm) thick ,the rectangular red ones at the edge underthe table are 4.5” by 3” and the narrower black and yellow ones next to the red ones are about 4.5” by 1.5” The tiles appear to be but jointed or only have a very small gap between them.

We are very reluctant to pull up the whole floor and put down a modern one.We think that only the joist nearest the storm door under which the water has seeped over the last X years, requires to be replaced. As a result we felt that before taking the whole floor up and re-tiling with modern tiles, we should see if there was anyone who could lift and relay the tiles affected by the joist which we will have to replace.Many thanks for any thoughts.Craibh 001.jpg
001A.jpg

Sory that the photos are in the middle of the text; not up to sortying that I am afraid!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Restoring Victorian geometric tile floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have problem and would like some help or advice. We have a victorian home in Saint John NB...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Hello, am trying to complete a Victorian tiled hallway (pic attached), loads of questions to...
Replies
Views
T
    • Winner
Victorian Geometric Hallway Flooring. Geometric Floor Tiling by Timeless Tiles John. Nothing...
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T
I am looking to source some original/reproduction geometric tiles, I have found sites like...
Replies
Views
A
Hi I am a complete novice when it comes to tiling so I'd appreciate the forums advice on a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Restoring Victorian geometric tile floors
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.