Discuss Right surface to tile onto? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

benb12

Hi, I need to tile the bathroom wall above the bath where a shower (riser, thermostatic valve & taps) will be fitted. The builder that chased the pipe work into the wall covered the wall with plaster or render, I am not sure which. He said a layer of PVA and I am good to go, but would someone mind looking at my pictures and telling me:

1) Is this surface bonding plaster? I have read that tiling straight onto this is a big no so am hoping it's sand & cement render.
2) If the surface is good to tile onto, is it smooth enough (one of the pics below is a close up of the roughest part)?
3) If the surface is NOT good to tile onto, what's my best option? getting it skimmed over?

I am using 15cm sq ceramic tiles like those on the adjacent wall to the right and plan to use BAL Grip adhesive.

Many thanks

photo 1.jpg photo 4.jpg

Ben

B

benb12

Thanks. That whole section of wall was tiled and had an electric shower fitted so I guess that's why it was all plastered. This was done along with some other plastering on other rooms that was good. I wasn't charged for the bathroom plastering. No idea why they did such a poor job here. Anyway apart from a couple of small ridges which I can chisel off its actually pretty flat. I already checked it with a level. So I will get it skimmed. Many thanks again.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Right surface to tile onto? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Our ground floor construction is a mesh reinforced structural concrete floor that was poured...
Replies
Views
I have been researching this for days and need some help. My garage has a concrete floor. I live...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB