Discuss Ripping up a floor dilemma in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MikeW

Some of you may remember I recently put up a request to identify some tiles that are on my kitchen floor (the now discontinued Dorset Wooliscroft Multiversatile) as I wanted some to finish the job that wasn't properly completed by a previous owner.

After realising the chances are very slim that I will actually find any amount of these tiles I have now resigned to the fact that I will need to rip the floor up and start again with something different.

The trouble is, as an amateur DIYer this isn't something I have any experience in.

My father in law reckons that ripping them up is the last thing I want to do as he says it will take weeks of chiseling to get the concrete beneath clean of all the tiles and hardened adhesive and into a position where I could stand any chance of laying any new ones.

Is he right or is he being a bit over the top with his prediction? I don't doubt him but I'm not entirely sure he is speaking from experience, more making an educated guess and/or trying to save me some aggro bless him!

Any advice from those who are experienced however would be very welcome!

All the best

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Hi. No I couldn't afford to. I'd do it all myself. If it is possible to get the concrete back to a workable state I won't need to. It's just a question of how difficult and time consuming it's going to be?

Cheers
The tiles should come up fairly easy Its the adhesive that will be a pain...do-able but very time consuming hence why I just latex over it..

O

Old Mod

It's a product commonly know as SLC (self levelling compound)
It's a cement based product mixed with water, usually with added fibres, that can be used to level a floor.
This will flatten your adhesive covered floor ready for tiling as long as the extra height isn't an issue.
There are a fair few to choose from, it'll depend on your area what's available.
Tilemaster & Weber are the two most commonly used SLC's by guys on the forum it seems.

M

MikeW

It might be worth mentioning that the part of the floor which wasn't tiled was the bit round the outside where the old kitchen/sink units sat. Obviously this wasn't strictly "not completed" as I put it but done deliberately to save money as that part of the floor wouldn't be seen which is perfectly understandable.

My problem is that I am doing away with normal kitchen units in favour of stainless and/or wooden work benches which is partly a matter of style but also as the kitchen is intended partly for commercial catering use, a practical one as well.

Bearing in mind the bare bits of floor would be quite visible under the benches, what would be the option for laying something else there and leaving the main floor as it is? Could I use a different tile or would that look daft? Or what about a different materiel altogether? (I'm open to any suggestion here with the exception of laminate flooring!!)

The more I think about it the more I'd like to avoid ripping up the old floor plus the time/stress/expense of laying a new one.

Sorry to throw another spanner in the works just as you thought the thread had been wrapped up! :grimacing:

A couple more questions to follow...:flushed:

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MikeW

You could use some tiles which are lookalikes and the same size , but only you know what's going to be pleasing to the eye Mike, of coarse you will have to take the cut tiles up to put full ones back in where they have cut around the units .
But like I said, you could get some tiles but it's your decision what will look ok :)

The trouble is I can't seem to find any lookalikes. The size 195mm x 95mm seems to be quite unusual for a tile based on the google searches I've done so may be difficult to find a size that can be tied in with the existing and look half decent.

M

MikeW

Why don't you take a couple of pictures of the whole space involved, add to that a diagram of your new kitchen layout and upload it here. Who knows some of the budding designer types here may see a solution you can't at the moment. Fresh eyes and all that! :)

At the moment the kitchen units are still in situ so you wouldn't benefit from the photos but it's definitely a good idea and will probably do it once I'm at that stage. There are 101 other jobs to do in the meantime but I'm thinking well ahead with the floor as I know it will become a major snag if I'm not ready by the time I'm ready to get moving on it.

M

MikeW

Note that for kitchens to be used commercially they need to use epoxy grout on walls and floors. Because bacteria can't settle in it. Tile choice becomes limited too usually.

I suppose it depends on what it's actually being used for to class it as commercial use but worth checking maybe.

I spoke to the local EHO a while ago and he said the requirements for home commercial kitchens are a bit more relaxed than say if it was a restaurant or pub so I doubt they would be that bothered but I will by all means look into it. Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I spoke to the local EHO a while ago and he said the requirements for home commercial kitchens are a bit more relaxed than say if it was a restaurant or pub so I doubt they would be that bothered but I will by all means look into it. Thanks
If you're selling a product to the public, you need to comply with food standards. Just the same as a 5 star restraunte.

And if the council get a phone call to ask what your food standards rating is, they will inspect and give it one.

A lady got clocked not long ago for selling battery chicken eggs as free range via a honest box. The food never even entered the kitchen but her kitchen got inspected.

M

MikeW

Sounds a bit extreme regarding the egg lady. I think by all accounts different local authorities have different views. I'd heard things like, you can't have a washing machine in a commercial kitchen...You must have two sinks, one for food prep, one for hand washing...You must have seperate fridges. One for catering, one for your own use...

When I asked the EHO, his opinion was that they understood that such demands were a bit unreasonable for small, occasional home caterers and so long as cleanliness was up to scratch and records i.e. fridge temperatures etc being kept they would be happy. Those were his words but I will certainly double check regarding grout and tiles.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Ripping up a floor dilemma in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
We're quoting to rip up and replace a tiled floor with Limestone tiles. I'm looking for advice...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
We recently completed the (rectified porcelain) floor tile installation in the bathroom and...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB