Discuss Rough but sound concrete conservatory floor , how to prepare for tiling ?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

catwalada

I have a 14sqm conservatory 20yr old concrete floor with a 1 sq mtr rough patch, where the builder ran short of concrete and patched over later. Want to tile with 32x32cm ceramic. The highest snotty points on rough area are around 6mm. can I just use the spanish solution ? of an extra thick adhesive layer, or can I apply a 6mm self levelling compound over whole floor ? The current height from the top of the concrete floor to the top of the door step weather bar is 30mm, so this is my maximum working allowance including of course for a 6mm tile thickness .

Any advice appreciated Thanks.

A

Aston

id also use a self levelling compound over the concrete, it will make life easier for you in the long run.
just ensure the concrete is sound, dust free and remove any 'high spots' from the rough 1m2 concrete patch..
its also woth mentioning that the concrete will be very dry after 20 years so you may need to control the suction with 1-2 weaker coats of sbr before starting the actual tiling..

J

jay

Actually yes it does, he botched it with hard mix mortar its been down 20 years, having been covered with fibreboard, hardboard then carpet got fed up changing the carpet every three years due UV decay. Botched bit seems fairly solid though when hitting it with a lump hammer.

if it sounds drummy it may need redoing as it may cause trouble down the track

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Rough but sound concrete conservatory floor , how to prepare for tiling ?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I am planning on tiling my bathroom floor, I removed the old tiles myself which were...
Replies
Views
I was supposed to have a concrete floor finish so I have a contemporary floor look. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, first post here. I've been lurking this forum for advice for a while, thank you all who...
Replies
Views
Hi all again. I'm trying to prep my concrete floor for porcelain tiles. It's just a small 1.5m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Rough but sound concrete conservatory floor , how to prepare for tiling ??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.