UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Rubi AND Sigma in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

right
having used both now, i realise why some people like both. they both have pros and cons but it was my wifes comment that stuck with me the other day when shes said, ''oh no, not another bloody tile cutter!!! nah it was'nt that, well it was :smilewinkgrin: but there was something else she said that made sense,

gayles quote...''why cant you use both???? the cutters should be working for you, not you working for the tile cutter, thats the reps job ;0)

so, there you go, i am independant, a free spirit LOL ;0) i am gonna use both. the job will be determine the tile cutter. if its ceramics then the ts40, if its small hard floor tiles. mosiacs etc, then it will be the sigma 6, for porcelain up to 600 ish. then the more natural cutter for me will be the tx700, for the big stuff, i'll put my faith in the sigma 3em....

it will be horses for courses from now on. what ever suits ME is what i'll use.(unless its free or there a kick back :whistling:
i am not either sigma, rubi, montolit or whatever. the only bias i have now, is my family and friends and liverpool fc :thumbsup:

now i'm off to buy a new breaker for my ts40 just kiddin!!! ;0)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sigma UK

I have to agree with you Ed. There is no problem in using a mixture of tools that will at the ned of the day help you when completing projects. To simply dismiss one product over another without fully testing or giving it the time of day is simply not right. Only by testing new products in the field can you see what works and what doesn't. There should be no shame in using a mixture of tools to get the job done correctly. :thumbsup:

A

Aston

following on from this thread..
I did a little experiment the other day. had my 2 sons and the wife lol cutting tiles in the garage using the ts40 and the sigma 6. ALL 3 said the ts40 was the easiest cutter to use.

when i told them that the ts wasnt a versatile as the sigma they said oh, well why would you buy the rubi then. i said, ask yourself why. they said because its easier to use????

i then said so, ''what would you buy??, they all said the rubi, then they said, no hang on, i think id buy the sigma because it seemed daft to buy a cutter that couldnt do what the other one could.

so there you have it. rubi users use rubi because they are easy to use. The big problem is getting rubi users over the intitial few weeks of the awkwardess of change of technique. they dont feel right, it goes against what feels part of their trade skill..but if you can get them over the 1st few weeks, then its blindingly obvious that they are the better all round cutter, thats why a rubi user will switch to rubi BUT a sigma user doesnt switch to rubi!!

so sigma, get all the colleges, short courses, and site apprentices using sigmas before they touch a rubi and you will find there will be no going back!!

ps the sigma 3c won the battle over the tx700. 3-1 to sigma and the trophy goes to italy!!
i'm keeping my ts40 for sentimental reasons ;0)

D

DHTiling

I'm with Ed, my TS40 will never go anywhere, deffo sentimental value, i have had mine since 94 and i had a clinker before that.. so when i left the tile company end of 96 to start on my own i had the TS40 and a TS60.. both good cutters back then but as tile bodies change then so do cutters need to..

So to the Sigma.. have only used it on 2 jobs so far and not let down on one single cut.. and i mean that without bull$hitting.. not one cut faulted.. from 60x30 grade 5 texuted porcs to cheapo white 330x200 ..

But lots of jobs to blast it on yet :)

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I'm with Ed, my TS40 will never go anywhere, deffo sentimental value, i have had mine since 94 and i had a clinker before that.. so when i left the tile company end of 96 to start on my own i had the TS40 and a TS60.. both good cutters back then but as tile bodies change then so do cutters need to..

So to the Sigma.. have only used it on 2 jobs so far and not let down on one single cut.. and i mean that without bull$hitting.. not one cut faulted.. from 60x30 grade 5 texuted porcs to cheapo white 330x200 ..

But lots of jobs to blast it on yet :)

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but Dave can I ask is the tile company the one that has a branch in Surrey?

M

mattle40

Rubi have fallen way behind in terms of quality and innovation..
People buy on reputation and name alone (I know I did) the market is flooded with them and 80+% of tilers use them
But things are definatly changing now and everyone I speak to agrees that quality of the ts range has really suffered and that's rubis bread and butter
So who knows maybe in 10 years there will be a lot more sky blue than red cutters about
A lot like the football fans in manchester eh ;-)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Rubi AND Sigma in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Currently using TX700N but obviously now too small for the 1200x600mm I'm increasingly being...
Replies
Views
I need a tile cutter gor 600x600 Italian porcelain and am close to pulling the trigger on the...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope you can help. I'm get despondent cutting 9mm glazed porcelain tiles, 300 x 900mm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.