Currently reading:
Rubi DU-200 L VS Virtex Versatile Power Pro 900

Discuss Rubi DU-200 L VS Virtex Versatile Power Pro 900 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Henrywatson

First post for me :)

Just came across the hardest 500x500 10mm porcelain tiles I've ever had the pleasure of working with. My little wet saw is well out of its depth, using the makita leaves sloppy cuts and the rubi 60+ wont touch them, obviously.

Need to invest in a bench saw I think. Budget is tight and so either the Rubi DU200L - Rubi DU-200-L-BL Electric Wet Cutter 230v + Table or the Virtex 900 - Vitrex Versatile Power Pro 900 200mm Diamond Blade Wet Bridge Radial Tile Saw 900w 240v : Tooled-Up.com would probably suit me for the time being.

I'm drawn to the Rubi because of reputation, build quality and guarantee but the price of the Virtex is tempting however it looks a little on the flimsy side and does weigh 45kg.

Any thoughts and or alternative recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

M

Mike Mike

Hello Henry, I have that Rubi and it's the absolute bottom of their range, so don't get your hopes up that just because you're buying a good brand that it will perform as well as the top of the range from a lesser brand. It's an okay cutter, but nothing special. I don't know anything about Vitrex, but it's twice the weight of the Rubi, is probably a better spec and better machine. At the end of the day, it all depends on the blade though, and they can cost £80...

One thing I would suggest, if you have a spare, or broken tile, try cutting on your TS60+ again, but this time score it 3 or 4 times, instead of the usual once. See if it will cut it then... You might be pleasantly surprised.

Alternatively, consider getting a TX700N or TX900N dry cutter and selling the TS60+. In my opinion, the TS design is only good for doing lots of straight, repetitive cuts. They are no good for mosaic, no good for diagonals (not as good as a TR or TX), no good for cutting not mosaic, but smallish tiles on sheets with rubberised glue between them, which are getting popular, because you can only break at the top of the cutter.

10mm porcelain should be easy on a decent dry cutter to be honest and certainly the TX range won't have any problems.

Good luck!

M

Mike Mike

p.s. Oops, obviously haven't got my brain into gear yet, it's early.

The cheapest solution is to get one of these: Rubi Manual Separator

Score the tiles on your TS60+ then break them with this. I bought one second hand from eBay just to see what it was, and was AMAZED at how good it is. You can cut 6mm strips in porcelain on it. It will have absolutely no problem whatsoever cutting your 10mm porcelain tiles. I guarantee it or I'll give you 100 pounds (most likely :lol: )

M

Mike Mike

Or failing that you could get yourself a Sigma 3BM Max cutter that will cut pretty much anything you throw at it. Good for Mosaics, Porcelain, Glass and much more. 1200kg multipoint breaker and a scoring wheel good for 900sqm of porcelain. Also more affordable than some brands. Only if your interested of course?. :smilewinkgrin:

I looked up the technical sheets for that Sigma 3Bm Max cutter and it said "tile cutter designed specificially for girls. This machine should not be used by men as they may snap it's delicate components with their unruly brute strength". It's true! :lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Rubi DU-200 L VS Virtex Versatile Power Pro 900 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

T
Time for me to stop lurking and pipe up, albeit ask for advice and opinions LoL! I'm a DIYer...
Replies
Views
T
hi guys just come across a couple second hand table saws just dont know which one to maybe look...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
A
ive always used a standard table saw but have stared getting a few more natural stone jobs. im...
Replies
Views
area2008
A
M
As I have scaled down tiling work recently I have for sale 2 of my Rubi Cutters. 1--- Rubi TR...
Replies
Views
Marksmithtiling
M
K
Hello I have just joined and would like to talk about RUBI Tools can I just say in my opinion...
Replies
Views
Fliselege
F

UK Tiling Forum Trending

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.