UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Rubi ts60plus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

just want to gauge peoples view on this cutter. personally i love the ts60plus for a few reasons but a few things have been puzzling me about why people slate them (excuse the pun) but yet tradetiler still sells more of them than any other cutter...also, on most sites on merseyside and manchester, you wont find many tx700's. the majority of lads find them too heavy and bulky. they never worry about the ts60+ being unable to snap porcelain because any tile it dosent cut, they use traditional methods of hitting or breaking the back of the tile along the score line...

so, why do so many people still swear by them when you see the rave reviews the tx700 gets...

any views on this cutter??

B

bugs183

The trouble is that with a really large format tile you can only break the tile at one point with a TS. With the breaking system incorporated into the cutting mechanism it give you more scope to break the tile where you like.
It seems daft having a rail cutter that won't properly break tiles after scoring, we had to bang the porcelain tiles from the back to break them as the TS shattered them. Not only is it inefficient, it looks shoddy if a customer sees you doing it, it's also bloomin dangerous as having a large tile breaking could do all sorts of damage.
I've been a Rubi fan for years, but i found it didn't break these large tiles well and also the slider bars flexed so i wasn't getting straight cuts. I was shown the Montolit range at Tradetiler and thats what i've used ever since, but i'm sure people here love them.
I've not tried the Sigmas or the Rubi TX range so i can't comment there.
A good rail cutter is up there as your most important piece of kit, so it pays to get the best the can.

A

Aston

it has to be said that they are great on ceramics and some porcelains. they are light, good view and nice to use but its very difficult finding a good reason to pay over £220-00p nowdays for a cutter that is limited in use and in performance. things evolve and things get left behind and then again some things make come backs so its another case of use what you like and not what everybody tells you.

i, like dave have owned rubi, montolit and sigma and thers was things i like about each one and things i disliked about each one. dont think i have found the perfect all round complete cutter, its horses for courses for me. theres room for every brand and style, its just nice to highlight individual cutters now and again, give them their 15 minutes of fame in the word of andy warhol..

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

it has to be said that they are great on ceramics and some porcelains. they are light, good view and nice to use but its very difficult finding a good reason to pay over £220-00p nowdays for a cutter that is limited in use and in performance. things evolve and things get left behind and then again some things make come backs so its another case of use what you like and not what everybody tells you.

i, like dave have owned rubi, montolit and sigma and thers was things i like about each one and things i disliked about each one. dont think i have found the perfect all round complete cutter, its horses for courses for me. theres room for every brand and style, its just nice to highlight individual cutters now and again, give them their 15 minutes of fame in the word of andy warhol..
testing out 1200 cutter at the moment should come in at £300 inc new tiles come along and new cutter are required with them

D

DHTiling

I used to have ts50+ , great cutter but after a couple years it was cutting out of square , reset the back fence but did the same again few weeks later. And the rubber rail running liners wore and I used silicone oil.

So got shot. I have the ts40 and the rail runners are slacker than a hooker but sentimental value makes me keep it.

Tried the montolit , nah hated it , tried rubi tit-s range , ok but poorly made.

I sold my old TX 700n and then got the new TX 700 after ditching the montolit

Fab cutter is the TX and no one can really knock its cutting power.

But a vary dark side has shown me a new life in the world of cutting. :)

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

£300!! Bloomin eck, let us know how you get on, that's worth knowing.
some pics let you know how it gets on DSC04056.jpg DSC04057.jpg DSC04058.jpg DSC04059.jpg

S

Spud

Its a new model to the market Mark and I had a look at this the other day ,it must have been designed by a tiler who has worked with large foramt tiles as they have thought of everything the side support arms a fully adjustable as is the height of the cutting wheel the single rail gives maximum breaking pressure it even has its own magnetic tape measure ,I havent used it yet but there are a couple of contractors testing it out at the moment but from what i have seen it is worth double the £300 price tag

S

Spud

I think this is genesis cutter I have borrowed one of these for a job it was out of line about 3mm[/QUOTE]
Its not a genesis machine and it cuts perfectly square i have tested out a different machine froim the same manufacturer this new one is really good ,they are currently being tested by a couple of contractors who will be posting their feed back soon:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Turkish tiler

I think this is genesis cutter I have borrowed one of these for a job it was out of line about 3mm
Its not a genesis machine and it cuts perfectly square i have tested out a different machine froim the same manufacturer this new one is really good ,they are currently being tested by a couple of contractors who will be posting their feed back soon:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]
:oops:.......

D

DHTiling

I think this is genesis cutter I have borrowed one of these for a job it was out of line about 3mm
Its not a genesis machine and it cuts perfectly square i have tested out a different machine froim the same manufacturer this new one is really good ,they are currently being tested by a couple of contractors who will be posting their feed back soon:thumbsup:

ahh but is it as good as your Sigma. :)

Reply to Rubi ts60plus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
HI, Excuse the length and new thread, but it reads super fast. I could use some advice. There...
Replies
Views
eric123
E
Dear TilersForum Thank you so much for the outstanding advice and expert information over time...
Replies
Views
Hi all I've noticed that when cutting large format porcelain on my Rubi TS70 plus that I...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.