Discuss Running cable over / through garage blockwork Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Running cable over / through garage blockwork Discussion ThreadRunning cable over / through garage blockwork Electrical Advice

I am finishing up my NAPIT LCL training, got all of my modules, 18th edition and I+T all done- heading out to support another sparky as a freshly retrained 53 year old. Just doing the final design assignment to finish up the course, which involves a virtual garage extension to a house, built in rendered blockwork. I have to spec out the whole job, which is mostly doable but had one query - running sockets to interior of garage, the notes don't mention whether blocks are lightweight or solid concrete- in the real world I'm guessing they'd more commonly be the lightweight variety.

Either way, I can either run cable in conduit, or chase into the blockwork - if I run on surface of blocks in conduit I presume I have to use surface mount switches/ sockets, I don't believe that there is an elegant / mechanically solid/ regulation friendly way to transition from surface mounted conduit into back boxes? If so I've not come across it in my own limited practical experince flying solo.

If I chase into the walls, I'll just use female glands into back boxes which is fine- however, as this wall is not going to be plastered then any covering over would have to be done with flat PVC cable cover which will remain visible - is this considered orthodox? I've tended only to use that to cover over cable which is going to be covered in drylining/ skim.

My initial instict was to use oval / round conduit into surface mount boxes, but because of washing machine / tumble dryer fridge proposed for garage, a little blub in my head suggested flush mounting sockets might be a better plan.

Any thoughts would be gratefully taken on board.

Running cable over / through garage blockwork for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to Running cable over / through garage blockwork Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Lou

Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
Running cable over / through garage blockwork Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond