Discuss Sample tile versus Actual tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

V

Vick

Hello

Has anyone had the same problem as us? We had a sample tile which we lived with for several weeks. We finally took the plunge and ordered 30m2. The tiler picked them up and laid more than half of the floor. The next day when we could walk on the tiles, we noticed that they were different to the sample tile and had a dark shadow running down each edge of the tile - very distressing! The suppliers will not refund us the tiles laid. We bought them from a reputable supplier and never in a million years did we think we would have to check the tiles to see if they were the same. Why display a sample if they are going to sell us a different tile?

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated. We now have no tiles, no kitchen, just an outside tap but lots of tears!

V

Vick

You will find that it is standard to read that Suppliers will not accept any responsibility once tiles are laid.

That's what I was scared of. However, having contacted Trading Standards, there is a breach of contract as the tile does not match the sample displayed - breach of Sales of Goods Act 1979. Don't want to throw back at them legal speech, but the consumer must be protected.

V

Vick

How different are these tiles?

The sample in the showroom has been there for several years I believe. We were never advised of differencies in batches etc. The tile we chose was specifically a random patterned tile - a stone effect with faint black spots throughout. The tile on the floor has a concentration of black spots down one edge only of each tile to create an "attractive" shadow! The tiles look grubby down the edges and there is nothing that can be done. The tiles in my opinion have lost their random pattern and have a uniform pattern as each tile has come off the conveyor belt with a darker band - about 4 to 5 inches. Not noticed until laid - very unfortunate.

Apparently, according to Trading Standards, we have a contract with the shop and not the tile supplier. The shop did not suggest ordering a current tile from the manufacturer, or advise us of any discrepancies. Had we known, we would have checked a box first.

Will let you know the outcome.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Sample tile versus Actual tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi there I ordered 160sqm of 90cm x 90cms of matching Large Format Porcelain tiles. 105sqm for...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB