Discuss sand/scratch wall or primer or both. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Handyeire

Im starting a new 3.5x2.5m bathroom next thrusday, its a newish house, 6 years old and bathroom has been painted. I'm wondering what's best approach before tiling. Will it be best to sand the wall with belt sander(or hand sand)with 60-80 grit sand paper or just roll on a tile primer before tiling commences. Or even both, I've priced in a days labour to remove floor tiles and prep floor for tiling to start but wondering will I have enough time to rough up the wall and prime on same day or need another half day depending on how well the tiles come up. I'll be removing tiles with SDS hammer and bit.

H

Handyeire

I use a painters 75mm filling knife and find that gets under the paint after soaking with hot water which if it's a bog standard emulsion tends to remove it.

I was thinking of using a steam wall paper remover but will I also need to roughing up the wall with the sand paper. TBH, I've never removed paint, just always roughened up wall abit of sand paper and never had any problems but if removing paint is a better job, I'll do it.

I've also been looking for a grinding disk to help remove adhesive under floor tiles, can you recommended any?

H

Handyeire

I us one of these but do have a dust shroud on my grinder with vacuum conected. http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/erbauer-double-grinding-cup-105-x-22-23mm/58310?_requestid=339779

Thanks for ttge link thou I was in tool hire place today and can hire a large one for 60euro that will have it up in no time or a handheld angle grinder with disk for 40euro. He wouldn't hire me the disk :( so I think I'll just hire out the large one and have done with it in no time at customers expense.

H

Handyeire

Generally they're pretty quick setting, think Mapei one is about an hour or so.

Hopefully the builders yard sell this, im near sure ive used this before but it was bought in homebase if i remember correctly but the local homebase have closed down. Screwfix sell it for £6 and was getting quoted €35 for 5kg of same make who make the adhesive :( Any tile stores adhesive/grouts or primers are ridiculously over priced. Im using a standard set adhesive on the walls will this matter at all?

H

Handyeire

The ady mate, as I said before primer takes an hour or so.

Can't get the primer you suggested anywhere thou was in 3 tile stores and 2 suggested I don't use primer on the wall alone because tiles will come off the wall and the other said scratch the wall with end of trowel and Stanley knife and use 1 coat of evostick technik 918.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to sand/scratch wall or primer or both. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just about to embark on an extension and the first job is to move the bathroom into what...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm part re-tiling/plastering a bathroom, which as the pictures show, has masonary to...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB