UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Scams... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

redmist6

Just thought i'd make you aware of a phone scam which was tried on me today.....you've maybe heard of it - i had'nt!
A company called Anderson Smythe called me on my mobile and addressed me as my business name claiming to have spoken to me a couple of months ago concerning a Tile Safety Awareness book and asking if my postcode was where i'd like it sending....now, as i was halfway through grouting up with some grey Superflex i did'nt have time for niceties and just said yes, having not even recalled a conversation on said subject..5 minutes later another call again with a blocked number came up, same company but a fella speaking...so i asked him what it was all about and apparently i had agreed in February to sponsor a Child Abuse Awareness booklet (different subject) and to have my business details printed up on the back. So, 60 booklets were on their way to me, all printed up, to be distributed to local schools...all for the sum of £380.00...Obviously i denied all knowledge and was transferred to the original girl who 'confirmed' our conversation in Feb..I told her i had no recollection, but, because the original phonecall was recorded it was a verbal contract (lol) and to deal with the invoice when it arrives..
Now, I can only assume she got my details from my website because she sucked me in with the tile association..Having spoken with the police and Googled this company I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but from what i've read there are a lot of people that have been sucked in and parted with money because these booklets do actually arrive!!......Anyway, if you get a call from Anderson Smythe.....you know what to do!!:thumbsup:

Red.

C

Colour Republic

This was tried on me for the first time three years ago, since then I have had a number of calls along the same lines. Over this time it has included local schools, the fire brigade, hospitals and the police!. Even though the numbers have been withheld your phone provider will be able to track it and i've logged this as a crime twice with them but after speaking to the police and trading standards it only becomes a crime IF they send you an invoice until then it is just hearsay.

Scam????? Scum more like!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Scams... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.