UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Schluter Ditra in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Walenut

I think there’s about 8m2 left; to be honest I just want the space cleared in the garage as I wasn’t very impressed with this stuff really.

I spent a long time insuring it was put down properly, I used the best BAL adhesive and good quality porcelain tiles and the stuff did attach well to the floor and give a good surface totile onto once securely down.

But what I didn’t appreciate was that any shock to the floor particularly as you can image in a kitchen with all manner of things being dropped onto it will just crack the tiles because of the additional movement that the matting allows.

I used this stuff to prevent hair line cracks in the screedbeing transferred to the tiles as I had wet UFH installed. I now have varioustiles with cracks through them so I think I’d have probably been better off notusing it at all as I did in my conservatory with the same screed, UFH, tiles& adhesive but no cracked tiles and this is still a heavily used area asthe kids us it as a play room.

So £20 to get it out of the way but I wouldn’t use it on myhouse and if you do an installation in a kitchen and the tiles start crackinghow’s that going to affect your reputation?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

But what I didn’t appreciate was that any shock to the floor particularly as you can image in a kitchen with all manner of things being dropped onto it will just crack the tiles because of the additional movement that the matting allows.

I used this stuff to prevent hair line cracks in the screedbeing transferred to the tiles as I had wet UFH installed. I now have varioustiles with cracks through them so I think I’d have probably been better off notusing it at all as I did in my conservatory with the same screed, UFH, tiles& adhesive but no cracked tiles and this is still a heavily used area asthe kids us it as a play room.

I don't understand this ? If you drop a heavy item on to any tile, whether it has Ditra or not it could damage the tile.

W

Walenut

This is one of the best products of its type available, I'm surprised you've had issues. Did you ensure to fill all the cups in the matting before fixing the tiles? Also did you fix the tiles using a solid bed trowel and backskim the porcelain tiles?

I did indeed, I've done my share of tiling, what I am saying is that this product is unsuitable for the type of floor that is subject to point loading such as a kitchen, I've never had issues before and would look for an alternative if the situation arises again.

S

Stewart

If you read the spec on Ditra you will see it is more than capable of handling kitchen traffic. I've used it in many a car showroom and is designed to take excessive weights. The main purpose of Ditra is allow for lateral movement and not vertical movement. Excessive deflection/movement in the floor or incorrect fixing methods are more likely for the problems described.

Created on iPhone.....

D

DHTiling

I did indeed, I've done my share of tiling, what I am saying is that this product is unsuitable for the type of floor that is subject to point loading such as a kitchen, I've never had issues before and would look for an alternative if the situation arises again.

Utter tosh and really really disagree.. Schluter ditra is used in car showrooms and even airports and shopping malls... if you have cracked tiles then that is deffo fixer error..

Simples.. :)

D

DHTiling

Some info..:

d) Load distribution (load impact)
The bottom of the square cavities in Schlüter-DITRA, which are filled with thin-bed adhesive, directly transfer the load impact on the tile covering to the substrate. As a consequence, tile coverings installed on top of Schlüter-DITRA are highly load resistant. If high traffic loads are expected (e.g. in industrial locations), the tiles selected for the installation must be of the corresponding thickness and pressure stability. The requirements of the mandatory guideline "Ceramic Floor Coverings With High Impact Resistance," published by the German Construction Industry Association (ZDB) must be followed. In areas with high impact loads, the tiles must be fully embedded in the thin-bed adhesive. The contact surface of Schlüter-DITRA amounts to approximately 50% of the total surface. This can reduce the load bearing capacity in case of point loads. For high point loads, select a tile thickness that is capable of distributing the loads. Ceramic tile coverings should not be exposed to the direct impact of hard objects. The tile dimensions should be at least 50 mm x 50 mm.

Schlüter-Systems UK - Schlüter-Systems

If you are getting cracked tiles, then you have used an unsuitable tile thickness for your usage needs.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Dropping things is not point loading it is impact loading. This is affected by the kinetic energy built up during the objects falling. This can increase the force on impact by a very considerable amount. Point loads are static not dynamic. Ditra is great for point loads. As per previous

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Schluter Ditra in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.