UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Screed advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi. I am building myself a new house which includes one very large room - 10m x 6m with underfloor heating. I am intending on putting down Porcelanosa Par-ker Venis tiles which are 1.2m x 19cm. I am having conflicting advice as to what screed would be best, what preparation is needed, timescales and whether a decoupling mat is required. Any advice? I will have around 6 weeks between screening and tiling available.
Thanks

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
FOr a room that size I would have to say anhydrite is the best screed. It works exceptionally well with underfloor heating and assuming you only have one single zone you will not require any movement joints in the screed. In terms of time scales you can force dry the screed quite aggressively after a week and assuming a depth no more than fifty mm I would anticipate that it should be dry by the end of the commissioning phase of the heating. You could if you wish look at the thermoplane underfloor heating system which my company is involved in. This allows a 40mm screed instead of 50mm so you get to further bulk up the insulation for a given zone.

Preparation for tiling would be simply sand the surface Lilly to remove any surface debris dirt and loose laitance that might be present, check it is dry and then tile using a gypsum based adhesive. These generally would not require a primer. De coupling would be optional unless they are natural stone then I would deffinitely de couple. I say it is optional but in all honesty given the size of tiles it would probably not be a bad idea anyway.

Yu say you are getting conflicting advice. What advice are you getting and what is being claimed about the various options you have no doubt been offered.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all of this. One tiler says he never trusts anhydride screed as the tiles often do not fix properly, while another says he only ever suggests it. The first says he always prefers sand and cement, but as this is likely to crack with ufh, he would suggest matting at £10/ metre plus fitting. Considering the amount if tiling, this will add about a thousand pounds to the job. This seems a lot but would pay it if necessary. I did have anhydride screed in my current house and have not had any problems with limestone floor. My new tiles will be ceramic.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Thanks for all of this. One tiler says he never trusts anhydride screed as the tiles often do not fix properly, while another says he only ever suggests it. The first says he always prefers sand and cement, but as this is likely to crack with ufh, he would suggest matting at £10/ metre plus fitting. Considering the amount if tiling, this will add about a thousand pounds to the job. This seems a lot but would pay it if necessary. I did have anhydride screed in my current house and have not had any problems with limestone floor. My new tiles will be ceramic.

I would suggest that the fact that your existing house is anhydrite with no issues speaks more about the tiler than it does about the screed. Sticking to anhydrite is smple provided you follow simple guidelines. One of those is to use non cement based adhesive. If you are using ceramics there is o absolute need to uncouple although Id say this would be very belt and braces. Sand cement screeds do crack and should be reinforced to help limit the cracking. They should also be cured under polythene properly which also limits cracking and curling. If you go anhydrite I would be happy to support you technically.... I am technical and specifications manager for the largest manufacturer of these screeds in Europe. I sort of hope I know what i am talking about generally. I would also happily offer my services technically to the tilers as well. Of course if you go sand cement that is your choice and I will still advise through the forums anyway.

For me though the decision between sand cement and anhydrite in a project ofthis size and nature is a no brainier...... Anhydrite every time. It will also save you money on your gas bills in the long term :)

A

adros88

Hi. I have a two week old sand and cement screed (75mm deep) with wet underfloor heating installed. I'm currently getting quotes to tile it. I've read that a de-coupling mat should be used but as with the original post on this thread I have had different opinions. We have chosen a porcelin tile. The only thing that is agreed on is that the screed isn't a great level so they all want to latex it first.

Any advice on drying times and the use of a matting would be really helpful.

Many thanks

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Screed advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have done a few smaller tiling jobs previously, and I'm about to tackle our kitchen...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.