Discuss Sealing job nightmare in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Genuissa

Hello

I am having a tile dilemma with a sealing job that has gone wrong. Used Fila home care colour intensifier on travertine honed and filled tiles. It was put on with a sponge roller. One coat has gone on and the tiles now feel very rough. Worse still, there are quite a few splodge and drip marks from the sealer.

What is now the best course of action for me to take? Would it be to put another coat on or am I best to try and remove this first coat and try another product (if so, can anyone recommend a top product for travertine honed and filled tiles)? If I am to remove the colour enhancer, how do I do this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)) Thanks!

T

TilingLogistics

Don't know a great deal about fila products. It sounds as though you have applied too much sealer to me. All sealers should be applied sparingly and the excess wiped off after the dwell time. The application instructions on the reverse need to be adhered to.

In your case you definately shouldn't apply more sealer you will make it worse. I suggest you apply a sealing and coating remover and remove as much of the sealer as possible and see what it looks like. If that fails you could try gently honing it with some fine wet and dry paper. Then once you are back to where you want to be start again with the sealer sparingly and just test one tile or even better a spare tile until you achieve the look you want.

Kev

G

Genuissa

Hi

Thank you all for your quick replies - very much appreciated! I'm going to try your solution,wetdec first off and then if that doesn't do the job, I'll try what enduro has suggested.

I have just rung Topps Tiles (where we got the tiles and enhancer from) and they said that travertine does need to be sealed (hmmm, are they correct on this)? I told them that I had read on this forum that this is not the case and that is coming from the word of professionals on here and not muppets at Topps Tiles (obviously I didn't say that to them altho felt like it)! Topps tiles suggested putting on another coat which would 'reactivate' the sealant already on there! They then said they are going to order a product that is some form of wax for me that would turn the enhancer into a doughy substance (supposedly guaranteed to remove the enhancer) and it would take a week to arrive. :mad2::furious3:

wetdec, I dont quite understand your comment about hoovering better. In all honesty, it was my other half who created this problem. I am now clearing up the mess caused by him! It's been a great learning curve though and thank you for all the advice given:22:

W

wetdec

Hi Helen

Honed and filled travertine has a high surface tension and so sealing isnt always required depends a little on the quallity. Either way it doesnt absorb much so gently gently with it or it will sit on the surface and harden off or chrystalise.

Your man at topps goes on what he is told and as the sealing manufacturers are kept afloat by the "it cost a lot so needs protecting" mentality he will recomend it.

Dust on tiles (hoover), rollers cause bubbles, brushes streak all can give a rough feel and appearance to honed trav which has a good finish.

The topps man is correct in small part by saying use more as this will soften the existing sealer but its a little fiddley and could backfire on you.

Try as I have said above remembering you are trying to remove the grainyness you have.

tiler

G

Genuissa

I feel really bad insulting Topps Tiles - they're not muppets, my boyfriend is for not applying the enhancer correctly! Hey ho. I'm going to go for the product that they have no recommended to remove the enhancer. They strongly advised against white spirit saying that this is acid based and the enhancer is oil based.

Looks like I'm back to strip washing in the kitchen sink for the next week or so:grin:

E

ellolly

HI
Have seen the same prob before, travertine does need sealing and should be sealed, I always use Fila products, If you don't seal it will still be porous and absorb anything spilled, I think Fila the best products on market but quite pricey. The man at Topps is right, if you use more colour intensifier it will reactivate the sealer that is already there and you are then able to wipe off. Try a small area to see if you are happy doing it. If you don't fancy that Fila do a product called dewax that does the same sort of thing.

D

Deleted member 9966

Hi Genuissa,
I have encountered the same problem that you experienced and am desparate for a solution as we have a kitchen fitting scheduled in 5 days! How did you sort out your sealant problem in teh end and were the results good?
Thanks

Hi Ladram

this thread is 3 years old. I don't think Genuissa has posted much since this original post. If you have a specific problem you would like help with, please feel free to start a new thread in the Tiling Forum and our members will do their best to help

GRR

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Sealing job nightmare in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all Having a bit of a mare; after having my last shower installation botched (but thankfully...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P
I'm just wondering if my glazed ceramic tiles need sealing before I grout them... I applied...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Sealing job nightmare
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.