Discuss Sealing Marble in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi guys, hope your all well. Bit of background on the job. 20m2 of opus marble with travertine border. Everything was laid as per usual no problems, cleaned with grimex before being left to dry. Sealed before grouting using ltp mattstone h20 the water based sealer. Grouted the floor then grimex again. Sealed again last night only to return to shiny patches on the marble. Followed the instructions to the letter, applied with cloth, left for 5-10 mins and buffed up any excess.
Please take a look at pics, it's in certain light you can see it. Tiles the kitchen earlier in the year and sealed with solvent based sealer with no probs, only reason I used water based was because customer didn't like the smell of the solvent based.
Any ideas what's happening?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Thanks Dave for the quick reply, I did try that tonight but To avail, it's strange as I was buffing after sealing fairly quickly almost a flash seal as you do when sealing polished . Can I strip it and reseal with solvent based?
One other thing, on the tin it says apply wet on wet several coats, what's the process of wet on wet?

Several coats ?... Im not a fan of the H20 , as imho darkens the stone , its not a water v solvent issue ,

The other small shiny bit looks to be calcareous and this can give the sheen look . Are those areas of stone crystal in texture/look. .

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Could try a very heavy diluted wash with a light alkaline cleaner, use a white pad, test one stone - this may knock shiny patches - and not remove impregnator- test water repellance after if good should be ok. 30 second flash clean, clean complete stone ,not just shiny bit

If you want to use a solvent over the top of a water based-not always nessasary to strip , you can test one tile and check for any congealing , saturate one tile, 5 min , then instantly buff with white towel and buff fully dry. Don't let product semi dry then buff , this can cause similar to above..

If it is natural veining in the stone , and not excess impregnator ,these will settle and even out once you / client starts maintaining the floor , might take a few weeks.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Sealing Marble in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Im putting some marble tiles in a bathroom / shower area for the first time. The customer is...
Replies
Views
I'm just wondering if my glazed ceramic tiles need sealing before I grout them... I applied...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all. I've seen a fair share of very dodgy siliconing around the frames of shower doors. The...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W
T
Hi, Looking for advice please. 2 problems! We have just had encaustic tiles laid in our...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB