UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss set-out argument in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jjoc

I recently did a job for a builder on his home. it was a bathroom, i was fixing 20x25 white ceramics in a potrait fashion. the window reveals etc. were exactly 25cm deep so on the sill and on the overhang of the window it was to be a full tile, on the sides I fixed a full tile an then a 5cm into the window frame.
The builder thought that i should have cut the tiles on the sill and overhang to 20cm to match the reveals and have the 5cm running around the window.
Where do you guys stand on this? really interested to know.

T

Time's Ran Out

I know exactly what he means - and I've never done it that way in 38 years - but have seen it before and wondered why I never thought of doing that way!
I suppose its because I wouldn't want to see a grout line on the sill and therefore the head would have to match the sill.
Yet on smaller square tiles you would follow the tile size around with an even joint - so he has a point - but we don't like being told an alternative method.

P

Perry

I know exactly what he means - and I've never done it that way in 38 years - but have seen it before and wondered why I never thought of doing that way!
I suppose its because I wouldn't want to see a grout line on the sill and therefore the head would have to match the sill.
Yet on smaller square tiles you would follow the tile size around with an even joint - so he has a point - but we don't like being told an alternative method.
does that meen you would cut all the tiles to 20 x 20 lol

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

a bit like this one some of you may remember the pic
15804-dscf1598.jpg

T

The D

i think it all comes from the days of RE and REX tiles you had to put a full tile on the inside of the window as you had to have the RE at the front and you do not put a cut on the inside. but as tile trim has become popular and tile sizes have changed we have just cared on putting a good edge to the front. IMO it is not wrong but the way your man wants it done is not wrong ether just a lot more work for you.* * * *

T

Time's Ran Out

does that meen you would cut all the tiles to 20 x 20 lol

I wouldn't - but that is what this builder customer of JJOC is suggesting for the sill and head of his window returns.
So to follow the joint at 20cm to match the sides, you would need to cut the rectangular tile to a square and put the cut edge to the front - hidden by the trim.
However if trim is not being used this alternative method is not acceptable IMHO.

P

Perry

I wouldn't - but that is what this builder customer of JJOC is suggesting for the sill and head of his window returns.
So to follow the joint at 20cm to match the sides, you would need to cut the rectangular tile to a square and put the cut edge to the front - hidden by the trim.
However if trim is not being used this alternative method is not acceptable IMHO.
John just pulling your leg mate

O

One Day

he saw my point, the job was perfect an he was happy an payed. I said to him its personal preference, he disagreed and insisted his way was correct, as he'd done a bit of tiling!

I'd have said "sorry but you can't possibly be right as officially, all builders are morons with two-figure IQs"

The wet-room I am tiling in Whalley was prepared by the best builder in the area. He fixed hardibacker to the walls and then plastered it all because in his words: "it's better for tiling to." Yeah right. That's going to be water resistant AND take the weight of large format marble.....:mad2:

The floor was 20mm ply, single layer - not overlaid, with impey tilesafe (satan's very own membrane) and ufh cables which were in several places touching and even crossed.

You know what? The day I come across a wall which is anywhere near remotely plumb, or a floor which is almost flat - I will believe that there are builders who can fix tiles.
Until then, the "tiling builder" is best mates with the tooth fairy.

Reply to set-out argument in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I would very much appreciate the advice of anyone who has fitted Marmox boards as I have decided...
Replies
Views
Large kitchen splashy, 2 windows (one really long) and probably going to be a metro like tile...
Replies
Views
S
Hi Fellas. I've (nearly) finished tiling my en-suite walls now and want to start on the window...
Replies
Views
S
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
Q
A customer asked me to lay a run of travertine window sill tiles with a half bullnose to match...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
set-out argument
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.