Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Setting out floor for mutiple rooms in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

Noaksy

Hello everyone, would just like to say that this is a great forum, I dont post on here much but I do lurk in the shadows reading lots from time to time! anyway heres my post, have just been told off a possible job from a neighbour whos been working on an extension for someone, and they are wanting the ground floor of their place all tiled,approx 50m2, Ive not been round to see it myself so im just going on what i have been told, they're wanting lounge, hallway kitchen in a shiny tile, im asuming a polished porc, running though the rooms.

Now, i still consider myself a newbie ,I did a 4 week course 2 years ago down at pts in harlow and have been doing tiling jobs in between my main job as I work shifts one week on one off, I was hoping to swap the shift work for working for myself, but for obvious reasons havnt given up the main job just yet, whislt im happing doing bathrooms and kitchens I have not had this come up before and was wandering on the following :-

1. What would be the best way to set this out ,if I set out the lounge floor, then the chances of the hallway and kitchen all working out fine is zero! so surley you have to separate the room or rooms somehow where you cant get the cuts right?

2. I take it movement joints would have to be used?

3. Slc would have to be used to get the floors level im guessing as I havnt seen it for myself, but would you guys also use a backer board on the floors aswell to get a really flat surface?

All help and tips would be very much welcomed:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

you willbe best using expansion joint between rooms as the threshold strips can cover this without the need for other unsightly systems in the house,it will also help as the extension will need expansions between old and new floor substrates,will the floor be concrete or t&g chipboard? you willneed to find this out before you decide to either level or use backer boards,as height probably wont be an issue if the entire level of the house is being tiled cost however for the client may well be and using ply may save a few quid and ensure you get the job

F

faithhealer

I find this laser from tradetiler invaluble when doing floors. Doing multiple rooms I use this with chalk lines. (and a staff!)
Laser Square by Laserliner

http://www.**************/acatalog/laser-square200.jpg
Perfect for square layouts.

Projects two highly visible red laser lines, set at 90°. The laser lines project along the floor and a good distance up the wall.

Range 30m. . Accuracy 0.05 degrees

Adjustable feet to level vertical tracking from floor up walls

Power 2 x 1.5v AA Batteries included, duration 48 hours.

Includes cary case with laser glasses and batteries

Size 150 x 150 x 50mm.

Weight 1.1kg.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

If the customer doesn't want a break at the doorways, the best solution is to centre your hall left to right, and then play around with the lengthwise setting out to see which works out best to flow into all rooms.

If the customer does not want a break at doorways and it is necessary depending upon meterage,then the customer should be told politely that this is what is required.
The customer will still take you to court if tiles lift,tent or crack if insufficient movement joints have been added.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

excuse me that sounds interesting,,,what is a staff/guage stick/pinch rod?

Sorry Russ, just seen this. A staff/ guaging stick or pinch rod are all one and the same thing, depending on where you are from. I call it a staff, simply a piece of timber with tile joints marked on including spacers. Using this you can set out walls or floors very accurately, before you fix a tile:thumbsup:

Reply to Setting out floor for mutiple rooms in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Setting out floor for mutiple rooms
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.