UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Shade Difference in white gloss tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

burncross

Had a 3 problem jobs over the last 12 months, where a shade difference is noticable only when tiles have been fixed, grouted and cleaned.
First of these was when customer supplied B&Q 30x20 gloss white (in blue boxes, no batch or shade codes on them) all looked same when fixing, but only when grouted and cleaned off, was there a definated shade difference, but even on box it states that 'shade difference is inherent with these tiles'
Customer was ok with it as he had supplied tiles
Second job was 60x30 ceramic white gloss with rectified edges,made in China, with just a batch code on box, which were all the same. Customer also supplied these tiles. Again all looked ok until it was grouted, cleaned off, and in certain sunlight, some tiles appeared darker than others. Customer was ok with me about it, and said he would take it up with tile shop.
Third job was 60x30 ceramic white gloss from Turkey, with batch and shade codes, all the same. But same again, slight shade difference in some tiles, not as significant as last 2 but still not a good luck.
Is anyone else having these problems? I don't look forward to working with white gloss tiles, as one day they'l blame me and I won't get paid

D

DHTiling

I do a lot of disabled wetrooms for care and repair and they always use 12 x 10 bumpy whites... always make sure the codes are the same and not had any probs yet..

I will say though that the B&Q ones will probs just be from mixed pallets , as they just top up a pallet as stock gets low on it , hence mixing batches..

I always stress to customers who are going to B&Q to double check codes etc ..

As for you problem, then you can only do so much and as long as your are mixing tiles form cartons as you install to minimise block grouping of shading, then you are doing the right thing.

R

Rich

All good advice above, mix the boxes and of course check the codes on the boxes. Dont use these tiles again if you are given the choice and whenever a customer supplies gloss whites, let them know that you have had problems with them, explain that you mix the boxes and check the codes but as Dave says, there is only so much you can do. This should at least cover your back if it happens again.

T

Time's Ran Out

Not sure if you are quoting these issues from all cheap tiles but Greece, China and Turkey will all have different manufacturing standards to Italy and Germany. It wont take much pigment change to affect a 'white' tile base and so they will cover themselves with the shade difference override.
As others if you are using the same box code there is very little you can do, apart from keeping a record for each job and for every aspect from surface preparation/adhesive etc. and confirm before you start to the customer that all tiles they/you have supplied are of the same batch.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shade Difference in white gloss tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm Looking For This Tile Plain White Gloss 397x247 tiles
Looking for white plain gloss 397x247 tiles made by British Ceramic Tiles company or any...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
I have dark brown tiles and brown grout in a shower (never again) that never looks clean. there...
Replies
Views
Lizmetal
L
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.