UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss shocking prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
feel like screaming:thumbsdown: a plumber i have been using for a while who i must say has been good at his own work has started handing me tiling jobs now

done 6 so far for him mostly small ones but i have noticed the prep on them all has been pretty poor but i have dealt with them so far however hes just given me a 30 metre bathroom

the floor hes laid warm up boards for the ufh with keraquik onto the chipboard but didnt screw it down whilst wet with the screws and washers and has come back the following day and screwd it down instead......the floor has popping sounds all over it and also moves in 2 places:yikes:

the ceilings are 3 meters high and old tiling went to 2.5 finished with a wooden thick dado rail

hes cut the old boards off with old tiling and also the plaster with it and re boarded the entire room with 9.5 mm boards which leaves a 10 to almost 14mm step out at the top where it meets the old exisiting painted area that wasnt tiled:yikes:

hes not interested inlistening to me in regards to prep ,really dont want and cant afford to lose out on his work atm but do not want to tile this room as it wont land on my normal standard and also i think the floor may fail

i guess im gonna have to walk away,how are these idiots picking up these jobs i just dont understand it

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
its beyond a joke atm for me phil,i have ticked over since about november time but i have noticed the jobs for me are getting smaller and smaller and im still losing about 80 percent of my estimates which is ridic

its all down to money,and how low am i willing to price?

they are getting tiles,materials at cost now and most want a cash labour price
there is the odd decent job in there amongst the carnage but they seem to be getting thinner on the ground,

im not going to do this bathroom as i have based my work on quality and im not about to change that and not give a toss,there is no point in throwing up tiles onto a shoddy prepped job

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
hi jamie, went through the same last month, when a plumber wanted me to tile on this.... 010.jpg 009.jpg 012.jpg

this a guy ive worked with for 4yrs, he used to get me quite alot of work, but like you his standers were slowly going down hill to the point where i even offered to prep the jobs myself only to be told the money simply isn't there.

he texted me to say hes found another tiler that ins't so fussy!!!!....i just wished him good luck and told him to get on with it, more work i can't afford to loose, but i can sleep at nights..

C

Colour Republic

he texted me to say hes found another tiler that ins't so fussy!!!!....i just wished him good luck and told him to get on with it, more work i can't afford to loose, but i can sleep at nights..

I've seen that mentioned a lot where people are let down by text. Does nobody have any balls anymore???? I don't think I ever had or ever would do that I think it's really disrepectful

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to shocking prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.