Discuss Shopping list for tiling bathroom with 60cm x 30cm tiles in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lianne

I am tiling my bathroom with 22sq metres of 60cm x 30cm ceramic tiles and a 3inch marble border; I just need a little bit of advice reagarding the items on my shopping list to carry out the project. My list was compiled with the help provided in another post (http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/9775-advice-tiling-60cm-x-30cm-wall.html#post79345).

I have now got the following on my shopping list:

4x 20KG BAL Single Part Flexible adhesive (White)
2x 5L BAL Prime APD
1x Dunlop Tanking Kit
1x 1L Lithofin MN Stain Stop
Grout --- Not quite decided on the correct grout yet, but I know I need a flexible waterproof type.
Tile Spacers --- What size are suitable for this size tile?
Tile Adhesive Spreader --- What type do I require? There are so many to choose from, V shaped notch, 5mm notch, 10mm notch etc... I am right handed
Grout float --- again advice is greatly appreciated.
Grout sponge??

I don't think I have missed anything? I am using 22sq metres of tiles with a 3inch marble border; I think I have got the correct amounts. But, please can anyone tell me if what I have on my list is not suitable or sufficient, many thanks for any advice.

Lianne

D

davy_G

You seem well prepared. I would try 2mm spacers for the walls and probably 5mm for the floors. Cant beat white grout on bathroom walls and grey on floors but maybe ivory might compliment the marble border so check it against the colour of tile.
I would go with 6mm notch on walls 10 on floors, any grout float and i use a washboy sponge for grouting, even on walls, it leaves a lovely finish.
A few other things to think about, have you any windows ie do you need trim and have you something to mitre it? The door saddle, do you need tile to carpet or laminate trim?

Good luck

L

Lianne

davy_G>> I am only so well prepared due to the excellent advice on these forums :yes:
I am only tiling the walls so I will add 2mm spacers. I am glad you mentioned the trim and mitring I hadn't thought about that!!

wayne>> Thanks for that tip will definitely select the Stain Stop Plus.

Just one question about the grout float, what is the difference between a 6mm and 10mm notch (I know there are 4mms - but I mean in practise :grin:).

Thanks for all your help, Lianne

D

davy_G

Just one question what is the difference between a 6mm and 10mm notch (I know there are 4mms - but I mean in practise :grin:).

As a guide the bigger the tile the larger the notch, or the more uneven the substrait the larger the notch to compensate. ie the more 'play' you have with a tile.
If the walls are flat and true id still go with a 6mm even with the big tile. If there are a few bumps then up to a 10mm.

L

Lianne

What is the difference betwee a square notched and U notched trowel for applying the adhesive - would a non-professional be able to tell the difference?

As you have all probably guessed, I like to make 100% sure I have the correct tools and everything else ready prior to starting a job - sorry to be such a pain, but I have never tiled with large tiles (or on such a large) area before!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shopping list for tiling bathroom with 60cm x 30cm tiles in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a homeowner living in the Metro Vancouver area in British Columbia. I am currently...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've been planning on tiling my 16sq m dining room floor for ages, so have been reading...
Replies
Views
Looking for some adhesive advice... DIY bathroom job, 600 x 600 porcelain tiles 26kg per sq...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB