Discuss Short in socket - why/how? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Short in socket - why/how? Discussion ThreadShort in socket - why/how? Electrical Advice

Hi. I'm in the process of getting my qualifications and am taking on some small jobs for family to try and get some experience in.

Today I was looking at a socket on a final ring circuit. The house was built in the 80s and the socket is almost certainly original to then.

There were 3 cables running through the wall connected to the socket - with all 3 conductors twisted together (ie all 3 lines twisted together and connected to the socket as one).

I presumed 2 would be part of the ring, and wanting to know where the other was spurring to I untwisted everything and with a bit of tugging worked out that one was connected to a socket in an adjacent room.

I then attempted to rewire the socket, but rather than retwisting everything I put the conductors back in individually (it was a bit of a faff as it was tight, and the old cables quite inflexible) but I got there in the end.

However when I re-energised the circuit and plugged the appliances back in there was a crack, a small bang, and a weird (perhaps acidy) smell, which I understand to be a short circuit.

Confusingly nothing tripped.

I'm baffled though as my understanding is that a short would be due to the live conductors touching, however I definitely did not incorrectly rewire it - ie lines and neutrals separate.

I'd be so grateful if someone could shed some light please?

Short in socket - why/how? for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to Short in socket - why/how? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Lou

Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
Short in socket - why/how? Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond