Discuss Should the installers be tanking my new shower? Advice greatly appreciated in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

WillemVan

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I have no experience whatsover when it comes to installing showers or even tiling so please be gentle with me.

I am paying a company to supply and fully fit a new en-suite in my house. My dad insists that I get the company to tank the shower so I went and spoke to the company but their response was they don't tank showers. The project manager told me there is no need and tiling on green plasterboard will suffice to make it waterproof.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions from you experts and any advice you could offer.

T

tfs

It is good practice to tank a shower area and for most of the guys on this forum I would bet that this would be thier prefference also (some probs woudnt touch a shower without doing it!)

It is however, very common for tilers/ bathroom companies to tile onto areas without tanking. They have at least used green plasterboard. In many cases it is the customer who does not want to pay the additional costs of having the tanking done.

I would suggest you ask the company to tank anyway but you should be happy enough to pay for the time and extra materials to have this done.

Hope this helps

S

Stewart

Tanking is a must IMO as it prevents further damage if the tiling fails, which it does occasionally. Cement based grouts are not waterproof and still allow some moisture through to the substrate. Green plasterboard is only moisture resistant and will break down if allowed to stay damp. I always install a membrane for tanking, and for very little cost, gives you greater peace of mind.

Below is a pic of green plasterboard that's been allowed to stay damp for a continued period of time from a leaking shower.
56a3d9a1-3cf7-0f7c.jpg
56a3d9a1-3d0f-f407.jpg

T

tfs

Here is some water damage under the bath which spread across the bathroom floor and damged the ceiling down stairs on a job I refitted.

The benefit of membrane is that the water will not get through. If using tape with liquid tanking kits you can seal over the bath to wall or you can seal full wall and then floor area including intersection where the wall meets the floor giving total peice of mind for years to come. You can also choose sheet membranes.

This picture you see was a job that was probably double sealed e.g. gap of bath and wall was sealed before and after tiling but these seals break down and fail eventualy and permit even more water to enter vulnerable areas. Tanking will prevent damage when your seal fails (seals should be maintained even when area has been tanked)

Tanking is the best way forward if you want to help eliminate chaces of failure:thumbsup:

Attachments

• damp under bath.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 514
W

WillemVan

If they haven't quoted for it,you won't get it unless you pay extra.Do you have any thing on paper to say the work will last? Are they a national company or local builders that do tiling.

I will have to go back and speak with them further, I am willing to pay the extra costs. The en-suite is directly above my living room, I don't want water leaking down into my living room in a couple of years time. This company sells bathroom furniture and tehy have their own tradesmen that do all the installs.

Reply to Should the installers be tanking my new shower? Advice greatly appreciated in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
I am doing a shower tile installation on mold-resistant drywall and I am waterproofing with...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Should the installers be tanking my new shower? Advice greatly appreciated
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.