Discuss Shower door frame installation? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far, BUT, ive encountered a small problem? To install the en-suite, obviously we've had to put in a stud wall, which is plumbed perfectly and the shower base fits in like a glove. However when we were putting up the stud wall we were, more concerned about getting everything straight, for the shower base, but upon double checking measurements, the original outside wall is approx 2cm wider at the top? Although the shower base has been fitted, luckily I haven't yet tanked the walls or tiled? I dont necessarily need to straighten the whole length or height of the wall, just where the frame will attach to the wall and blend it in obviously? What is the best way to do this now or should I continue and tile and then pack out the top of the frame, somehow and silicon or put some trim on?
20240802_094549.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far, BUT, ive encountered a small problem? To install the en-suite, obviously we've had to put in a stud wall, which is plumbed perfectly and the shower base fits in like a glove. However when we were putting up the stud wall we were, more concerned about getting everything straight, for the shower base, but upon double checking measurements, the original outside wall is approx 2cm wider at the top? Although the shower base has been fitted, luckily I haven't yet tanked the walls or tiled? I dont necessarily need to straighten the whole length or height of the wall, just where the frame will attach to the wall and blend it in obviously? What is the best way to do this now or should I continue and tile and then pack out the top of the frame, somehow and silicon or put some trim on?
shower with measurements.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You usually tile the walls then screw the door frame to the tiles. The door usually has its own fixings for it and you may need to then run a silicone bead down the frame where it connects to the wall, on the inside of the shower. But then the outside is optional as water wont be running down there. (Fingers crossed :D )

You got a couple of pictures of the door frame please?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I've just merged the two threads you made (by mistake) and it's given us another picture.

So the box frame of the door should be able to cater for 20mm difference. You just need to make sure the frame and door are vertically plumb.

But tile first.

Is the stud wall leaning 20mm then? Or is that plumb and the external wall 20mm out?

I've just merged the two threads you made (by mistake) and it's given us another picture.

So the box frame of the door should be able to cater for 20mm difference. You just need to make sure the frame and door are vertically plumb.

But tile first.

Is the stud wall leaning 20mm then? Or is that plumb and the external wall 20mm out?
Thanks for the reply, it's the external wall that's leaning out 20mm, so the frame can't extend any further, but I've just found out from the company where we got it from, that they do a 20mm frame extension. So I'm just in the process of tanking the shower, then tiling the floor tomorrow, then the walls in 3 or 4 days time. Hopefully the frame extension will have come by then and get the shower door in👍

Awesome that's what I was imagining couldn't think of the word. Extension. Ha

It has been a busy day.

You'll have to come back with pictures. Take some after each stage for us. :)
🤣🤣 I know what you mean about one of those days!! Just finished putting second coat on the tanking, starting the floor tiles tomorrow👍
20240805_161749.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shower door frame installation? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Greetings All, appreciate the expertise existing in this forum. I am a home remodeler, not a...
Replies
Views
Hi All Looking for a bit of advice if I may? I recently embarked on a project to replace the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. First time poster and tile diy. Thanks in advance for any and all help, tidbits...
Replies
Views

UK Tiling Forum Trending

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.