Discuss Shower glass cut to size in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

My wife is a Finance Director of a large glass supplier. (They supply trade only) Just to avoid confusion when I mean trade it means they supply to glass fitting companies, glass window frame makers and commerical glaziers etc - not to people who are tradesmen. What she said about the wild pricing is a lot of the product is the same but is priced up on how a company will buy it, how they will pay for it and also how good a customer they are.

In the glass industry its notorious for double glazing companies to go bankrupt and restart.

She says they literally have THOUSANDS of prices for the same stuff. And its all to do with the fact that its a bit of a wild industry.

Effectively there are only really three types of glass
1) Float
2) Laminated
3) Toughend.

Of course its number 3 that you need and the fact you need C-Cuts into it for the hinges (and probably holes for a handle) mean they will probably end up getting the work and doing it. Then they will supply the retailer who will in turn sell it to you. The price will simply reflect how good that retailer has been.

For instance the manufacturer has to take out credit insurance on retailers so that if the retailer goes pop then they can get back some money. But the cost of insurance now is huge. Bottom line is the retailers have to get their glass from somewhere and over the course of this recession the manufacturers have taken BIG hits with bankrupt retailers.

I know its not helping your cause but at least its a "behind the scene" explanation as to why prices for such a basic and cheap material - glass - are so wild.

Also MANY thanks to the wife for supplying Float glass (AKA Plate Glass) which we used to drill through at a recent aquarium and fish tank and REPTILE show to demo tank connectors!

205670_10150139695392014_617362013_6473627_3409321_n.jpg

Two holes cut into PLATE GLASS by 365Drills for Tank Connectors for aquariums and reptile tanks!

207969_10150139697792014_617362013_6473733_5170978_n.jpg

We do get about dont we !!

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andynathan87

Hi friends,

I was also wondering for the glass cut to size for the replacement of my double glazed windows and doors, but I was unable to find a perfect store. Then, one of my friends suggested me a store that provide high quality glass from 2 mm to 6 mm and up to exact specifications as desired by you. Then, I purchased 4mm thickness glass cut to size of my desired specification and really the glasses were easily fitted to my house windows and doors without any hassle as they provided the exact specification.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shower glass cut to size in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
J
Hi everyone I've done several trades across construction, and the thing I struggle most with is...
Replies
Views
C
Here's a little one we did earlier this year. All designed, supplied and installed by us. This...
Replies
Views
Colour Republic
C
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Shower glass cut to size
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.