Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Shower grate install? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SPQR Tiling

G'day guys, im tiling a shower floor that has been screeded with a 15 mm fall and a shower grate. The shower grate is 100mm from the wall at 12 o'clock to the grate, and 50mm from the walls either side at 3 and 9 o'clock respectivley, and ive never installed one of these before and would greatly appreciate some advice?

the 100mm space of floor between the wall and grate i noticed follows the same fall as the entire floor and hasnt been angled to flow back into the grate, so water will accumalate there? will i need create a fall with adhesive in that one space?

How about those 50mm tiles on either side of the grate? if i angle those 100mm pieces of tile between wall and grate to flow back into the grate then what sould i do with those 50mm pieces?

they are 300 x 600 porcelain tiles by the way.

Cheers guys.

J

jay

:welcome:and yes all tiles to grate need to fall towards the grate inc 50mm ones
would of made it easier if grate was full width and hard up against wall good luck

jay-albums-polished-picture6722-img-1988-1024x768.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SPQR Tiling

Thanks for the super quick reply Jay :smilewinkgrin:

yeah its a shame the customer didnt run it into the wall on all three sides, as those 50mm pieces should be part of a full tiles but now i will have to split it and customer's going to have an added grout lines, not to mention its rectified edges large format tiles and is going to create problems with lippage.

One more question,what have you done where the floor it lowers over the gradient? am i just going to have to spilt the tile where floor lowers, and fill the increaing gap(up to 15 mm with silicone) ? is there some trim or something to use or is the gradient to small to do anything with. should i try filling it with tile?

Cheers - Sandy

S

SPQR Tiling

Thanks a million mate, will post pics when done. Walls are waterproofed and the bloke who did the screed waterproofed underneath the screed.

just to make sure i got it the trims needs to be matched to the size of the gradient and inserted underneath the tiles which are on the lower part of the floor(shower recess) not underneath the tiles on the higher(non recess) floor?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

Thanks a million mate, will post pics when done. Walls are waterproofed and the bloke who did the screed waterproofed underneath the screed.

just to make sure i got it the trims needs to be matched to the size of the gradient and inserted underneath the tiles which are on the lower part of the floor(shower recess) not underneath the tiles on the higher(non recess) floor?

trim runs on the edge of the level floor to eliminate the need of trim tiles to side and if you have any waterproofing material left run it over the top of screeded section

S

SPQR Tiling

i told the customer its australian standards to waterproof shower recess floor but she thinks its enough that it was waterproofed underneath the screed. (i didnt do the waterproofing)

What size trim did you end up using Jay on the photo of that job you did? if its a fifteen mm fall will a 15mm trim be enough or will i have to go for an 18mm?

So then it is ok that the trim protrude from the floor a couple of mm's and be higher in one spot of the floor?

Thanks again for sharing your time with me :thumbsup:

S

SPQR Tiling

I went with a fifteen mm trim in the end, i understand what you mean now about it acting as a waterstop. will post pics when finished.

i had a heart attack doing the walls of the place today, i had done one wall and was starting another but the grout lines werent matching, they kept creeping up , so i checked my batten's and that everything was level, and that i had 3mm gaps eveywhere in the other wall but it was spot on level and square. I didnt think to check the tiles until i spent at least a couple of hours checking an rechecking incase i made a mistake somewhere, but it turns out that there was a 1- 1. 5mm differece in tile size between boxes!!! and this is rectified edges polished porcelain! i didnt think it would happen. cheap tiles, customer told me she got them on special. no wonder why.

ended juggling between 2mm and 3 mm spacers to keep the grout lines matching , came out alllright in the the end but gave me a fright.

Reply to Shower grate install? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi I am nearing end of my bathroom renovation and wanted to know what is best, before the guy...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Shower grate install?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.