Discuss Shower re-grouting question in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the DIY forum...apologies if I got it wrong

I have a mosaic marble shower which after 7 years has started leaking. There are some small cracks in the grout around the drain
1615803628999.png

I put some silicon sealant in this area as a temporary measure and also to see where the leak was coming from - it's not the prettiest of jobs but the leak has stopped - so far so good.
1615803644996.png

So I guess I need to re-grout the area as a more permanent solution.
I believe I need to rake out the existing grout before putting in the new grout - is it ok to do this just in the area around the drain that I've highlighted in red here? Or do I need rake out in between the mosaic tiling which I'd really like to avoid doing?
1615803697831.png

Is there a specific type of grout that I should use? BAL easypoxy / BAL microflex / epoxy / regular ?

I don't know if it's worth mentioning but tanking was put in underneath the shower when it went but I have doubts about the quality of the work. Also there is a little bit of flex in the floor which I know is far from ideal.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

Grout alone will not cure it. If its leaking then the tanking has either failed or incorrectly done.
Thanks for the reply. I don't really want to tear all the tiling out to re-tank it......unless it's absolutely necessary.

Are there any other temporary or semi-permanent measures I could take apart from regularly reapplying the silicon sealant?
(there are only 2 adults in the house, so at least we can take care not to disturb the silicon sealant that is in place)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shower re-grouting question in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi all - I have a question about some cracked grout in my wet area shower, I've attached a...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB