Discuss Shower room floor repair in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 19391

I had to lift some Ruabon quarry tiles to access hot and cold water pipes that fed the basin in the shower room as the hot had a dent in it where you put your foot, I re-routed the pipes round the shower plinth and wall.

The water had been leaking for 6 weeks to 2 months unknown as it had drained into the corner of the room where the 4" waste comes down from the bathroom upstairs.

The structure of the floor is this:
1. Ruabon quarry tiles
2. Adhesive- black colour
3. Cement
4. Scree.
5. concrete base.

I am not sure how long to leave it to dry out, the area lifted and where else the water went under the floor as well.
I am not entirely sure on the repair for the floor.
Scree then cement but not sure of the mix, 3 or 4 to 1?
And the adhesive I am guessing is std floor tile adhesive for quarry tiles?

I lifted the flat tiles and will sand off the grout and cement but I broke some of the cove base round top (skirting) and the two internal and external angle tiles.
Ruabon have not been manufacturing for 2 years and they can supply red but not heather cove base round tops but have none of the small angles I need.
Any suggestions for supplier for these please.

D

Deleted member 19391

Thanks, perhaps I should clarify. there was a thinnish layer of cement on top of the scree and it was quite hard to grind through, or thats what it looked like to me and I am not sure what mix to use for that. So I was thinking 3 or 4 to 1?

I was not aware that the scree was a cement mix , the scree below it broke up quite easily when I probed it with a screwdriver.

Four pics are: ImageShack Album - 4 images

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 1779

The top layer was probably self levelling compound by the way you decribe it.

Most cement based screeds should be left 2 to 3 weeks until dried but then of course they are freshly laid so its the water that is used to make them that is drying out and the cement is curing and hardening rather than flood water which has come along later.

If you can let it dry out naturally a couple of weeks should be the max. If you put a commercial dryer into the room to move it along then check after a few days. Turn the dryer off and if there are no damp patches then you are good to go.

The reason that you should wait a couple of hours is because the commercial heater dries top down.

Ive had experience of this when creating an entire floor for a kitchen.

n617362013_726814_2743.jpg

Ive had experience of large scale work

19644_273335457013_617362013_3345802_3685536_n.jpg

I had to wait weeks for the cement to dry. If yours is a small damp patch in one room
you should be able to get it dry in less than 3 days. Quicker with an industrial room dryer.

Upvote 0
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shower room floor repair in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB