Discuss Shower room mess in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

R

rodneyjp

I had a wetroom installed with natural limestone walls and floor. The tiles have been absorbing water and staining and two have cracked because light objects (an electric toothbrush) were dropped. Several tiles have been replaced because their were so badly stained. But the staining continues and I do not believe the cracking should happen. I doubt whether the tiles were sealed or embedded into adhesive properly. The tiler says he did everything properly. Where can I get independent advice?

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: unfortunately not all stone is suitable for wet room installations and white limestone for instance can be like blotting paper and will accept moisture even after sealant saturation.
We did an Applestone bathroom a few years ago and the client painted the ceiling with a well known brand of bathroom paint ( it went on pink and dried white so you could see where it had been done) - well the steam made it turn back to pink and it produced runs down the tiled walls. It was caught early enough to be cleaned off the sealed tiles but still left a very faint blemish.
Although you have a staining problem, the cracking sounds like a fixing issue. I'd take it up with the tiler first, ask the supplier if they've had any call outs to this material and try to resolve it before getting into the expense of reports. But keep a log of all your communications for later use.
If you provide your location, administration here may be able to offer the services of a local tiler to give an opinion for a small charge or donation to charity.
Try to upload some pictures if you think it will help.
Good Luck.

Upvote 0
R

rodneyjp

Many thanks to all who responded with helpful advice. The situation has deteriorated with some tiles cracking and others moving underfoot, indicating they have not been embedded properly. I spoke to stone supplier who said cracking, movement and the fact a couple of tiles could be lifted without damaging the underfloor heating showed they had not been laid properly. We are having a couple of independent tilers look at it after holidays but hard to escape conclusion now that the whole floor will have to come up and be relaid. If anyone can recommend a good quality tiler in London SE area I would be very grateful. Afraid I can't figure out how to attach a photo, but may thanks for all your help. Cheers

Upvote 0
W

White Room

Many thanks to all who responded with helpful advice. The situation has deteriorated with some tiles cracking and others moving underfoot, indicating they have not been embedded properly. I spoke to stone supplier who said cracking, movement and the fact a couple of tiles could be lifted without damaging the underfloor heating showed they had not been laid properly. We are having a couple of independent tilers look at it after holidays but hard to escape conclusion now that the whole floor will have to come up and be relaid. If anyone can recommend a good quality tiler in London SE area I would be very grateful. Afraid I can't figure out how to attach a photo, but may thanks for all your help. Cheers

You could try hear I'm Looking for a Wall and Floor Tiler - Tiles | Floor Tiles | Wall Tiles | Tilers Forum

Upvote 0
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shower room mess in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
P
As a newbie to a Wet Room I have just inherited I am hoping you can help me. I have a 2/3 Bar...
Replies
Views
plug_it_in
P
M
Hi There, I recently tiled a wet room for someone, after only 2 weeks of use i was called back...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB