Discuss shower tiling dot dab? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mwrex81

Hi, non tiler here but just had a bathroom job done by a tiler and whilst knowing nothing, or probably just a little too much off internet but not enough to understand, would appreciate some views on the following. Essentially we've tiled floor, walls to half height and shower enclosure to full height using 30x60 porcelain tiles.

Now finished we're delighted with the look but just concerned about what might be happening behind in the shower area. I'm guessing but I think the tiles have been fixed to waterproof or resistant board (grey looking stuff similar to plasterboard) but the adhesive was dot and dabbed - potentially quite a lot of adhesive but definitely applied in blobs to the back of the tile and popped into place - whilst the area directly above the shower itself was plaster a week or so before tiling. Now grouted it looks great but i'm aware grout is porous and expect there will be spaces between the tiles and boards, could still see through to the boards before grouted, where i can't help thinking any moisture that penetrates will linger, collect and eventually undermine.

Just wanted views is this something i should be concerned about and even if i should can anything be done about it now if i spoke to the tilers / fitters, or should i just get over it and enjoy the new tiles!

thanks

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Should have pulled him up while doing the job if you noticed. It's a shame if he has, did you notice what adhesive was being used?
Porcelain needs plenty of surface area covering, as all tiles do. This is why adhesive is combed onto the wall. I strip out bathrooms every week that have been done this way. Some you can take off with a shovel. But some still take a lot of getting off. Best to have a word with the tiler me thinks.

M

mwrex81

Had started fixing tiles in the shower area and already had a number of tiles up before I popped my head in to say i was off to work and the guy had tile in hand with two rows or some pattern of adhesive blobs dabbed on the back - fair enough i didn't stop and examine and if that isn't dot and dabbing i am sorry. Technique could be seen across the rest of the walls where at half height there's a void between tile and wall and occasional adhesive blobs.

M

mwrex81

Thanks to all for responding. Can't remember exactly but the adhesive was prepared on site, quick drying, flexible and white. Still have the skip out and can spot a half buried bag labelled Mapei i think... don't know if its important enough to go digging to check?! To be honest i didn't think to pull him up straight away it was only as i thought about it and my vague memories of seeing tiles placed onto as mentioned combed adhesive that i started looking in to it. Its also difficult and i wouldn't necessarily want to question the technique of someone who says they know what they are doing and has countless years experience - let alone tell them to stop. However, thanks those who've responded its been fairly clear if the method i think has been used has been i should at least question it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to shower tiling dot dab? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB