Discuss Shower - Tiling on Tanked Plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi. I am a complete amateur about to retile my shower that that is backed by marine ply. I realise that ply is not favoured here but the shower is 20 years old and the ply still looks fine after that time – it does not appear to have moved or degraded at all. Nevertheless, I thought I would take the precaution of tanking it (I propose using the Dunlop kit).
What I would like advice on is, which tile adhesive and grout would members recommend that I use on the tanked ply surface where I am fitting 25cms X 25cms X 5mms ceramic tiles?
Any other tips would be welcome.
Many thanks

Thanks both for your replies.

I will see if I can post pictures later. As far as the hardibacker is concerned an additional 6mm or so may take the external face of the shower enclosure over the edge of the shower tray.

Whichever approach I adopt, I would appreciate thoughts on the most suitable adhesive and grout to use.

Many thanks

(Apologies if this duplicates an earlier response from me - my last two attempts to post a response appear to have vanished into the ether!)

G

garretridge

i know i shouldnt but i done a job last week new build property 2 walls were solid and 2 were ply he didnt even want to tank but i insisted so i tanked and i tiled them with300x300 polished porcelain. i didnt want to turn work away so i did it some times we have to even if we dont agree but this developer gives me regular work so i bit the bullet this time but told him in future to use no more ply or backer boards for all the difference in costs and he wont get any come backs so he agreed so a result for us tilers in the end!:thumbsup:

Y

YourTiler

i know i shouldnt but i done a job last week new build property 2 walls were solid and 2 were ply he didnt even want to tank but i insisted so i tanked and i tiled them with300x300 polished porcelain. i didnt want to turn work away so i did it some times we have to even if we dont agree but this developer gives me regular work so i bit the bullet this time but told him in future to use no more ply or backer boards for all the difference in costs and he wont get any come backs so he agreed so a result for us tilers in the end!:thumbsup:

What is it with developers?? I've just done some bathrooms for one and out of the 8, 1 was just plasterboard 5 were plastered and 2 were half plasterboard and half plywood, Makes life that bit easier ....... NOT :furious3:

B

Bruce1

Help please!! Had my tiler around last week to look at my cracked tiles in teh shower. All was not well.....water had been got into the plasterboard and mold was growing. Plasterboard was falling apart...yes that bad. Anyway one of his building mates he recommend is going to removed the shower and remove old plasterboard and replace with 12mm plywood. The tiler is then going to stick this 100% waterproof membrane (aparantely its new £50 a role & only just on the market) onto teh plywood upon which the tiles will be stuck & grouted. Having reviewed the comments about plywood, I'm a little uneasy about using it now. Can anyone confirm if this is suitable for a shower? The builder/tiler state that this new membrane is 100% waterproof & thus if water did get through the grouting, no water can penetrate the plywood (which is my biggest concern given woods dilike to mositure) due to this 100% waterproof membrane. Can anyone advise if this sounds acceptable?

Reply to Shower - Tiling on Tanked Plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Shower - Tiling on Tanked Plywood
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks