Discuss Silicone colour between wall and floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Never decided what is best when doing different coloured grouts on wall to floor.

Job I'm finishing off is a bathroom fit and have Trav effect porcs on the wall, mosaic glass tiles in shower area and dark coloured porcs on the floor.
Wall grout is white and floor grout is silver grey.

Would you guys go with silver grey sillicone at floor/wall joint or white. I've done both ways before but always think I should have done it the other way round - Weird!

Heres a pic (Floor went down last so gap; is from floor tile to wall in case that makes a difference):

P1010480.jpg

Had to go 1/3 bond with these bananas tiles!!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Dark grey for me, closest colour you can get to the floor tile :thumbsup:

So would you get a silicone that matches the floor tile colour as opposed than the floor grout colour?
eg: floor grout is 111 silver grey so would you choose that for the perimeter bead or go with something like anthracite silicone?

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Floor tile colour for me, sorry Gamma, but I think the anthracite would blend in better against the wall rather than the silver grey. The dark is the predominant colour, so I would use that. :thumbsup:

Good call, I have done that also, for me it depends on how the setting out falls, if you can get the best part of a full tile near all the walls or at least a big cut it looks like another grout line which gives a nice appearance as well. :thumbsup:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Good call, I have done that also, for me it depends on how the setting out falls, if you can get the best part of a full tile near all the walls or at least a big cut it looks like another grout line which gives a nice appearance as well. :thumbsup:

Yep done that as well, like you say though, you need the joints to fall pretty good to do it though :thumbsup:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Well these are on 1/3 bond - 3 rows are exactly 4 tiles long but the others obviously aren't.
Anthracite or silver grey? I don't know which one to go with now lol - think I'll go with silver grey as all cuts are nice and big.

If they are 1/3 bond then only 1 in 3 tiles will have the joint against the wall, therefore the predominant colour up to the wall will be the dark grey, hence I would be using anthracite silicone.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
My worry is that even anthracite sillicone looks quite light next to really dark tiles so I would have to go black if I wanted the 'blend the tile look' and I don't like black silicone - especially if it's butting into brilliant white grout joints.
The silver grey grout looks almost white in these tiles and if I go anthracite it will match neither tile or grout.
Will definitely have a go at what you suggest on the next job that demands it though as I think it's a winner!
Appreciate the good advice.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
My worry is that even anthracite sillicone looks quite light next to really dark tiles so I would have to go black if I wanted the 'blend the tile look' and I don't like black silicone - especially if it's butting into brilliant white grout joints.
The silver grey grout looks almost white in these tiles and if I go anthracite it will match neither tile or grout.
Will definitely have a go at what you suggest on the next job that demands it though as I think it's a winner!
Appreciate the good advice.

Just use masking tape to get a perfect line along the wall tiles with light coloured grout joints :thumbsup:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Well siliconed up this afternoon and went with the silver grey in the end (CTD had no black in stock - honest). Didn't look too bad at all and got £100 tip!!!
They want me to go back and final fix once the granite top for the vanity unit has been made so good little job all in all

P1010503.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Silicone colour between wall and floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
In our bathroom we have dark tiles on 3 walls and one wall is a white tile. The ceiling is...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB