UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Silicone instead of Grout! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Clare

Hello

I am really upset and need some expert advice.

I have had some tiles put on my en-suite floor and walls this week. They are black porcelain. The tiler recommended silver/grey grout and we went ahead with it.

He said yesterday he had finished and I was shocked when i saw what he had done...he has grouted using the silver/grey, but then in the 4 corners of the room where the walls meet, from floor to ceiling he has used shiny white silicone! Oh my word, what a contrast to the rest of it...I may as well have had flashing lights! he has tried to tell me this is normal procedure, but I have had many bathrooms fitted over the years and havent seen this yet! can someone advise me if this is right? I am sure it is not, it looks dreadful!

please help.

:sad_smile:

F

Fekin

Walls move, so if grouted the grout may crack over time, where as silicone is flexible and will move with the walls without cracking.

A lot of tilers always do the wall joints in silicone as it makes them a flexi joint, but I know colour can sometimes be an issue, so it depends on what colour silicone you can get.

I must say I have only ever seen whitre and ivory silicone, but Im sure if searched for you may fine a company that makes an assortment of silicone colours.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazTech

Gaz...he has done the whole en-suite...4K in total, paid 3300 so far, but have 700 retained. Seems a lot of money for something that really looks...well...odd!

I have a topps tiles in chester. I'll pop there on Sunday and see what they have. I think he should be the one paying for it though not me!
Fair comment Clare,make him suffer ....this is where to go lol...Gaz
4 Bumpers Lane Sealand Ind Estate
4 bumpers lane,sealand ind est Town : Chester Chester Postcode : ch1 4ly CH1 4LY Telephone:01244-398888 01244 398888

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Silicone instead of Grout! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.