Discuss Silicone or not? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

ceekay

Probably a typical novice question but installing a new marmox trap in a newly installed marmox shower lay tray and was wondering if the rubber seal supplied is adequate to seal the trap or if most of you like to smear with a silicone (or equivalent) sealant onto the rubber to tray seal? I've also been told this would eventually break down the rubber seal but not sure how true? Just that once installed and tiled it will be the kitchen ceiling down if I had to get at a leaky seal?

would appreciate any expert advise?

C

ceekay

Yes it is. Fitted countless dalmer traps and all good!

Cheers much appreciated but while we are talking Dalmer traps which way does the rubber go up? Both sides has a lip although one lip is taller than the other and also one side is like an old record with lines going around inside the lip but the other side has no lines? So Which butts up to the tray and which side sits on top of the the plastic trap?
thanks

C

ceekay

Cheers much appreciated but while we are talking Dalmer traps which way does the rubber go up? Both sides has a lip although one lip is taller than the other and also one side is like an old record with lines going around inside the lip but the other side has no lines? So Which butts up to the tray and which side sits on top of the the plastic trap?
thanks

finally got back on the wet room and I had left the Dalmer shower waste that I had routed outside full of water to check for leaks as I had sealed the outside end. The thing is there are no leaks but the trap is only holding water half way up the trap and therefore there is an air gap in the top of the waste pipe? I have checked the tray and trap are level which they are but once I let water flow out the end of the waste pipe (into the garden) the water level in the trap seems to drop too low? Surely this will allow waste gases from the soil pipe back through? Any thoughts?.

Q

Qwerty

No it won't so long as you use the internals of the trap as it prevents any air through. The rubber seal at the top if the internals create a tight seal also.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396871665.085061.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Silicone or not? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Greetings All, appreciate the expertise existing in this forum. I am a home remodeler, not a...
Replies
Views
R
Hi. Hope someone more knowledgeable than me can help. I am about to install a Merlyn Series 10...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
We have created a small wet room with a pebble-floor on a marmox tray then extending across the...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
P
Is it good practice that you always run a bead of silicone up the vertical corners and around...
Replies
Views
On one
O
D
Evening All, Can you help me with the below? I am building an ensuite in a spare room, and...
Replies
Views
lizzardtong
L

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB