UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Silicone over grout... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rich

Evening all. I have just replaced the silicone around my mothers bath as the ols silicone had split and come away. I thought while I was doing it I would take some snaps so that I could put up a post on the dangers of using silicone over grout.

Using a silicone joint in tiling is not just to make a nice finish. It is used to keep the joint water proof and it is also used as a movement joint. At any junction where tiles meet another object like a bath, basin or another tiled wall/floor the joint between the two should be left totally clear of grout. I find that the best way to do this is to grout in all the joints running into the expansion joint and let the grout set off, then I run a knife or a paint scraper along the movement joint to remove all the grout. I then let the grout dry completely. When I come back to silicone, I make sure all the joints to be siliconed are clear of any grout/adhesive/dust but sweeping, scraping and hoovering the joint out. After this I give all the joints a wipe over with meths on a rag to remove any grease and grime. Then I am ready to apply the silicone. The silicone is there because it is much more flexible than grout, grout will just crack and will let water through. If you grout these joints and then just silicone over the top, the grout will crack and come away from the joint taking the silicone with it, this is what has happened in my mothers bathroom below.

You will have to ignore if you can the god awful tiling, it was done by my step dad many years ago, he is so proud of it bless him it has never been changed. If this room had been tiled by a pro the cuts along the top of the bath would (should) be even all the way along the length of the bath (makes it easier when it comes to silicone).

bathroom 002.jpg bathroom 003.jpg bathroom 004.jpg

Notice how the grout has come away from the joint behind the silicone and taken the silicone with it.

bathroom 006.jpg bathroom 007.jpg bathroom 010.jpg

A stanley knife is used to cut out all grout/adhesive/grit from the movement joint then the joint is hoovered out to remove all dust.

bathroom 011.jpg bathroom 012.jpg bathroom 013.jpg

The joint is then cleaned, rubbing a clean rag with meths along the joints will get rid of any grease and will totally evaporate and leave no residue.
bathroom 015.jpg bathroom 017.jpg bathroom 019.jpg

To be safe I give the joints a quick brush out with a clean brush to make sure no dust has settled in the joint after I have hoovered it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Silicone over grout... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Silicone over grout...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.