Discuss silicone prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Taken from the site

Preparation Wipes
You’ve probably already come across this at some time but not realised it. A prime example is when you come to replace some silicone around a bath or kitchen worktop, you pull at the old sealant a little and hey presto it starts to pull away from the corner and you keep pulling and it all comes away like a long piece of string, silicone should not come out like that and their is a very good chance that you’ve just come across a poorly prepared job. Next time you come to replace some old sealant take a close look at it, more often than not its not the sealant which has split but instead it’s the bond between the sealant and the surface which has began to pull apart.
Testing has shown that if you correctly clean the surfaces prior to the application of silicone this will increase the quality and lifespan of your silicone.
This is why we've developed "CornerTape cleaning wipes".
‘What makes our cleaning wipes stand out from the crowd as there're literally hundreds of cleaning wipes on the market?’
‘Other cleaning wipes are generic cleaners, in other words they are designed to be good at cleaning up a number of different messes, whether that’s spilt paint or oil, wet silicone or just normal dirt or grime they just aren't specifically designed to properly prepare and degrease the surfaces before you put your new silicone down.
What makes them bad for this purpose is they contain a myriad of solvents not all of which evaporate away so leaving a thin film on the surface. Obviously applying your new silicone on top of a chemical which has been developed to remove wet silicone would not be the best thing to do. They also contain other things like hand moisturisers which tend to be a little oily which again don't evaporate away and again all you’d be doing was applying silicone on top of oil which your new sealant wouldn't stick to properly.’

• REMEMBER - Correct cleaning = longer lasting silicone joints

• Failure to adhere to this simple rule will result in premiture failure of your silicone joints

CornerTape Preparation Wipes are available in two quantites
A box containing 4 individualy wrapped wipes.
A re-sealable flow wrapped packet of 20 wipes

Reply to silicone prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
silicone prep
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.