Discuss Siliconing & BS. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Hello all. I have a customer who wants me to grout all internal corners of his 3 large bathrooms.
At the start of the job I explained grouting v silicone. He said he wanted to use his own silicone bloke.
No skin of my nose. Now hes had 2 silicone guys come round to give him a price. Both have said they wont do it unless
all internals are grouted. :mad2: Ive had a look at my copy of BS but cant find anything that reccommends silicone instead of grout.

Anyone got a "link" so I can convince him grouting should not be done ?

Thanks Del.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Not a huge problem for me. He wants me to go back and grout internals. Just trying to steer him in the right direction as its a new build and hes spent a lot of money on the tiling side. Shame if it dont look good in a years time.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
We all know the reasons etc, but what's the reason that the silicone man has said why it needs to be grouted 1st? what difference would it make to him?

or is it that he wants to use clear silicone? over grout

He told my customer it would go on easier ?

I

Ian

The whole point of the silicone in an internal corner is to create an expansion joint, we've all seen cracked grout in corners due to it not being flexible enough. If its grouted first then the silicone won't be able to fill the gap and create the expansion joint. If the customer wants it grouted then siliconed, just do it, I've done several jobs where customers don't want silicone at all. We can only advise, at the end of the day give them what they want.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
We all know the reasons etc, but what's the reason that the silicone man has said why it needs to be grouted 1st? what difference would it make to him?

or is it that he wants to use clear silicone? over grout

He will use less silicon as there is no joint to fill. Sounds like he's so tight he only cries out of one eye.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
The whole point of the silicone in an internal corner is to create an expansion joint, we've all seen cracked grout in corners due to it not being flexible enough. If its grouted first then the silicone won't be able to fill the gap and create the expansion joint. If the customer wants it grouted then siliconed, just do it, I've done several jobs where customers don't want silicone at all. We can only advise, at the end of the day give them what they want.

But they'll be first to call you when the grout drops out first time someone slams the bathroom door :lol:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
There is something in the British Standards that covers this under movement and expansion, haven't got it to hand so can't quote it exactly. But it is just a guide as said, you can only advise and crack on.

I've had customers that wanted grouted corners with no silicone, if they insist what can you do? If it falls out or discolours the cheap silicone he's likeky to use you may get an opportunity to say I told you so.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
What sort of walls are they?

Not best practise but I don't believe there's really any real harm in grouting internal corners of block walls. Different with stud walls obviously.

some block,some stud.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Siliconing & BS. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, As per the title, my tiler has grouted the internal corners of our new shower enclosure...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
New here and no knowledge of professional tiling! I had one installer do three new bathrooms. He...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB